The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, March 30, 2015

Right Path

"Turn my heart toward your statutes
and not toward selfish gain.
Turn my eyes away from worthless things;
preserve my life according to your word.
Fulfill your promise to your servant,
so that you may be feared.
Take away the disgrace I dread,
for your laws are good."
Psalm 119:36-39



I tend to think and act selfishly.  Even my walk with Jesus can be all about me and what I get out of it.  Is there a better way than going after such worthless things?  

Yes, His path is the right one, and it is in stark contrast to the way toward which I gravitate.

Testimonies.  I have a tendency to think like the world, to look for how I can satisfy my own longings for comfort and fulfillment, to obtain all that I want out of life, to find security in the position I've achieved or by the stuff I've attained (1 John 2:16).  While I'm inundated with messages telling me this is the path to success, God has a better way.  His path truly leads to life, and to find the narrow gate through which I enter onto His road, I'll need Him to give me an affinity for His ways (Matthew 7:13-14).

As He changes me, I'll discover I will look for evidence of His love working in me and through me.  While the old me would use these testimonies and His power at work within me as a way to elevate myself so I feel better about who I am and what my position is in life, the new and improved version of me wants more of God because I finally realize that knowing Him and abiding in Him is what brings my heart it's greatest fulfillment.  There is nothing more I need than Him.  Only God can bring me to such a comprehension.

The right path for me to follow is marked out by the evidence of the outworking of His great love. 

Life Source.  My older sister is developmentally disabled.  The more time I spend with her, the more I see myself in her behavior.  The only difference between her and I is that I've learned how to hide my selfish or socially unacceptable behavior while she has not reached that level of development.  In other words, she does what comes naturally without much understanding as to how her actions affect those around her.    

One thing I see is that she is easily distracted.  When she's working on a task, like putting on her jacket, she may get distracted by a piece of paper that is out of place on the table.  She stops what she's doing and focuses on putting that stray paper back where it should be.  Then she may continue in this tidying-up mode until she is reminded that she was putting on her jacket, at which time she finishes the task at hand.

I'm just as easily distracted.  While I may have figured out a way to get around my natural tendency to lose my focus, I'm still quickly drawn away from what is important.  This is no more obvious than in my walk with Christ.  My eyes are attracted to worthless things; to pursuits, possessions and paths that either will not last or will destroy my faith.  I need God to turn my vision away from such foolishness and draw me toward His better way which is my source of life.

The right path for me to follow is His way that turns out to be my source of life.

Good.  I live with a sense of dread, in the shadow of foreboding.  What if I pick the wrong choice, or say the wrong thing, or live in a way that dishonors God?  He'll be mad and may kick me to the curb.  I don't want to lose His favor or my place in His kingdom.  That's a lot of pressure for a mere human to bear.

Thankfully, in Christ Jesus there is no longer such condemnation (Romans 8:1)!  I need not live with the fear of wronging a Holy God, or disappointing my heavenly Father, or failing to live up to His perfect expectation for me.  Through faith in Jesus I am free from the judgment my sins deserve and liberated to walk with His Spirit down the path that pleases Him.  As I keep in step with this indwelling Guide, I'll produce good fruit that lines up with His law (Galatians 5:16-23).  Instead of trying hard to be good and failing miserable, I can live freely in His Spirit as He leads me where He wants me to go.

The right path for me to follow is the good one He leads me down.


It is impossible for me to find the right path on my own since I'm naturally drawn to the way that leads to destruction.  If I want to journey on the road that leads to life, I'll need to look for the evidence of His love as the markers that lead to the right way, to allow Him to direct my attention toward His better way, and to gain a sensitivity to the leading of His Spirit.  In these ways, I'll find the right path for me to follow.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God to lead me where He wants me to go.

How do I tend to go the way that seems best to me?

When do I ignore the gentle promptings of God's guiding Spirit?

No comments:

Post a Comment