The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Get Rich Scheme

In honor of today's 800th post on 
Writings on the Doorframe
I am offering free signed copies of my book: 



If you would like to be entered in the drawing, 
please email me at boosehome@aol.com
or leave me a comment below 
by the end of the day on Sunday, March 22nd.  
Winners will be announced on 
Monday, March 23rd!



"Praise the LORD.
Blessed are those who fear the LORD,
who find great delight in his commands.
their children will be mighty in the land;
the generation of the upright will be blessed.
Wealth and riches are in their houses,
and their righteousness endures forever.
Even in darkness light dawns for the upright,
for those who are gracious 
and compassionate 
and righteous."
Psalm 112:1-4



There are hundreds of get-rich schemes.  Most everyone has dreamed of winning the lottery, scoring a huge sum of money, or suddenly finding themselves with resources beyond measure.  As a teenager, my friends would sometimes ask what I would do if I won a million dollars, a seemingly unfathomable amount.  The question would get me to think about what it would be like to find myself suddenly rich.  How would I live?  What would I buy first?  Would it change my lifestyle, my habits, my circle of friends?

While it may be fun to daydream of sudden wealth, it won't happen for most of us.  Still, it doesn't stop people from buying into methods designed to bring about material prosperity, but there is only one lifestyle that bestows heavenly treasures.  When I respect and revere God enough to walk on His obscure, narrow path, submitting to His will for my life and worshiping Him in the choices that I make, I will find a kind of wealth that is unsurpassed in worth.

Legacy.  The bank account can dwindle, inheritances can amount to very little, and family heirlooms can subsist of a few sentimental items, but there is still a treasure that can be left to future generations that is priceless.  While I can't always control how much worldly wealth that can be passed down to my children, I can focus on a more valuable inheritance; faith in Jesus Christ.

When I devote my life to Christ, letting Him live through me, keeping in step with the Spirit and allowing Him to control my life, I am leaving a legacy of faith behind for my offspring (Galatians 5:16).  I can be assured that generations to come will live as salt and light in the world, impacting it for Christ selflessly and joyously (Matthew 5:13-16).  Strongholds of sin and Satan that I tear down now will benefit those coming behind as the generational transfer of sins throughout the years and demonic activity that plagues my extended family will be vanquished.  My descendants will benefit from my current victories in Christ.  

My legacy of faith in Christ is a rich inheritance I am leaving for future generations.

Riches.  There are some houses I walk into and feel instantly at home.  Decor and color schemes can be mimicked, styles of furniture can be copied, and similar furnishings purchased, but the riches found in these homes only come from the bond the owners have with Christ.

When I invest my life in my relationship with Jesus, I will find many treasures building up at home.  I'm not talking about the stuff that I see in the pages of Better Homes and Gardens that make so many homes pleasing to the eye and comfortable to live in.  Rather, I'm referring to the riches of a strong family who thrives, healthy relationships that grow stronger through the years, and peace that permeates the very air and cannot be duplicated nor understood.  These are the profits of heavenly investments.

My faith in Christ earns the dividend of a rich home life that has nothing to do with the house.

Light.  Life is not easy, let's just get that straight.  No matter how I live my life, who I follow, or what religious structure I adhere to, I will have hard times.  In fact, I have heard many say that dedicating one's life to Christ actually makes life more difficult as we live in opposition to the world (John 16:33, John 15:19).

The good news is that in Christ, I have the promise of a beacon of hope shining in the darkness.  No matter how bad things get, God's grace and mercy will prevail, overflowing into my life to enable me to succeed (Hebrews 4:16).  I know He will get me through whatever I face.  In addition, I can rest assured that He is always at work on my behalf, fighting my battles for me and bringing about perfect justice.  In these ways, no matter how bad things get, I have the hope of His Light leading me through the darkness.

My faith in Christ means I'll never be left to my own devices because no matter how dark my days get, I will always have His Light to guide me.


While I could go after worldly riches, I'd rather pursue something more lasting.  Therefore, I will run after Jesus, making Him my Lord and Savior.  When I do, I will reap many rewards.  I will find a rich legacy of faith passed on through the generations that earns for me a home filled with eternal riches and a Light that shines in the darkness.  In these ways, I'm wealthy beyond compare.  Now this is a get-rich scheme I can buy into!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to place all my hope in Him.

When do I dream of earthly riches when the heavenly ones are so much more valuable?

How am I focused on the wrong goals in life?


No comments:

Post a Comment