The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, March 27, 2015

Enlightenment

"Make me understand the way of your precepts,
and I will meditate on your wondrous works."
Psalm 119:27 ESV



The 18th century was a time of philosophical exploration, of great scientific finds, and the replacing of tradition by reason.  It was dubbed "The Enlightenment" and many great writings, inventions and discoveries, radical laws and revolutions were generated during this time period.  It seemed to be a time of great awakening.

In order for my mind to be awakened to God's Word and to come to a deeper understanding of His ways, I need Him to intervene.  I am dependent upon His grace to make Himself known to me; it's not something I can attain through my own effort and in my limited capacity.  What will happen when He does?  I will undergo a revolution of my own!

Strength.  I'm ready to give up.  I feel like I can't go on.  Life has become too difficult and I've lost the will to live for Jesus.  It seems easier just to let things happen as they may.  Great sorrow fills my soul as I realize how desperate is my situation.

I take a chance and cry out to my Father, sinking into His Word.  There I find strength as I submerge myself in the life-giving Truth.  As my mind is realigned with His perfect ways, right-thinking is restored and I see my situation from a different viewpoint.  Instead of only focusing on the difficulties surrounding me, my field of vision is taken over by the magnificence of God.  He gave me strength by putting things back into proper perspective with Him at the center of my attention.

"My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to your word!" (Psalm 119:28)

Guidance.  I'm easily distracted from the Truth.  Alluring ways entice me away from wholehearted devotion to Jesus.  I hear a repackaging of an old lie and I think I've found the answer; it appeals so to my flesh that I'm quickly drawn away.  I need help to stay on track.

Through faith in Jesus Christ I have a Spirit who shows me the better way.  While I may not be removed from temptation, He is faithful to provide a way out so that I can stand firm against that which lures me away from my First Love (1 Corinthians 10:13, Revelation 2:4). 

Sometimes these temptations are merely attitudes.  On the outside it may seem I'm committed to God and His ways, but my motivation may be off; I could be more devoted to pleasing people than God or driven my ambition instead of a passion for Christ or inspired by fear or guilt instead of love.  I need God to show me the fallacy of my ways and show me His in a way I can understand.

"Put false ways far from me and graciously teach me your law!" (Psalm 119:29)

Heart.  It's hard to commit to something if I don't see the value of it.  When I was young, I didn't understand the importance of checking the oil in my car, even though I'd been told numerous time to do so.  Since I didn't see the value in making sure my vehicle's engine had enough oil circulating through it, I hardly ever bothered to pull the dip stick out to gauge it's levels.  Then one day the car wouldn't start.  The engine had been damaged beyond repair by driving without enough oil.  After spending hundreds of dollars to repair it, I suddenly understood the importance of checking my oil.

I tend to learn things the hard way, but when it comes to God, I can trust Him to open my heart so I will understand the value of living His way.  As I place myself in His hands like a pliable lump of clay, He forms me into the shape He created me to be.  Undergoing this transformation, I find myself drawn to the rightness of godly living.  This internal makeover gives me a greater appreciation for His way, and a deep desire to stick to the rocky path that leads to life.  Even when the going gets tough, I'll want to stand firm in Him because He has given me an affinity for Him and His Word.  

"I will run in the way of your commandments when you enlarge my heart!" (Psalm 119:32)


There is no way my puny mind can comprehend God's Word apart from His clarifying and instructive Spirit.  Therefore, I am dependent upon His grace to give me understanding.  As I lean on Him, I'll find the strength that comes from His Word, the guidance He provides through it, and the open heart I need in order to stick to it.  This is the kind of insight that comes from God; this is true enlightenment!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to let Him enlighten me.

When do I lean on my own understanding instead of God's?

How do I sink into sorrow instead of letting God's Word give me strength?  

2 comments:

  1. Cindy thanks for allowing God to use you to help enlightened us all. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, I praise God that you listened and responded as He spoke to you through today's writing! Isn't God so good to us? I love you, too!

      Delete