The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, May 5, 2014

When God is Silent

"He inquired of the LORD,
but the LORD did not answer him by dreams
or Urim
or prophets.
Saul then said to his attendants,
'Find me a woman who is a medium,
so I may go and inquire of her.'"
1 Samuel 28:6-7



His trusted adviser and prophet was gone.  The one who always knew what to do and was essentially his link to God no longer lived.  Now, here he sat on the brink of another battle against an overwhelming enemy without his most trusted counselor.  What should he do?  How should he proceed?  Saul had no idea.  He was terrified at the thought of going up against the Philistines, but without the benefit of wise guidance?  Unthinkable!  He had no choice but to ask God himself. (1 Samuel 15:3-6)

When Saul didn't hear an answer from God, he immediately turned to another source for wisdom and guidance.  His response exposed the unfaithfulness found in his heart.  Similarly, the way I react when God is silent speaks volumes to the state of my own heart.

Worry

The sound of rustling leaves drew my attention to the wood line.  There I saw a bird busily scratching and pecking, dining on tasty morsels left there for him to consume.  Soon he took flight, soaring to the nearby pond where he washed his meal down with some water.  He didn't know how to live other than the way his Creator made him to live.  Therefore, no anxious thought ever crossed this little sparrow's mind.   Never did he spend any time preparing for winter or growing his own food, yet he never went without.  He was faithfully cared for by the One who made him. (Matthew 6:26)

If God takes such good care of the birds, how much more will He care for me who is made in His own image?  (Matthew 19:29-31)  As an intelligent being, however, I can conjure up all kinds of "what if" scenarios.  What if my paycheck is not enough?  What if the test comes back positive?  What if my husband does not forgive me?  

Instead of using my intellect to meditate on the greatness of God and His faithfulness to care for me, I often waste precious brainpower in analyzing possible solutions to my latest problems, or fretting over what could come to pass, or searching for answers found in my limited resources.  As a result, I spend sleepless nights tossing and turning in anxious apprehension.  

When I live in such a way, I am worse off than the lowly bird who never worries a day in his life.  How can this be?  Could it be that I have a very limited view of a small God?  

I may say that God is the source of good things, but in my heart I doubt that He can solve my impossible problems, or meet my particular needs, or overcome the enormous obstacles lying in my path.  

Words that extol the virtues of God's greatness may cross my lips but when it comes to the enormity of my own troubles, I wonder what God can do to help, thinking it is up to me to fight my own battles.  

I often say that the same God who parted the Red Sea, provided manna from heaven for his people, and breathed life into every living thing still reigns the earth today, but my heart is anxious just thinking about the impossibility of my own situation.

When I don't hear from the Lord regarding the battle I now face, I turn to worry when my image of God is small and impotent even though He is mighty to save!  (Jeremiah 32:27, Zephaniah 3:17)

Stray

The little lamb has everything she needs.  Her shepherd leads her to luscious pastures of green grass where she can graze to her heart's content.  He perceives when it's time for some water and guides her to a still place along the river where she can safely get a drink, quenching her thirst without danger of falling into the stream.  Her kind master directs her to a sheltered enclosure when the sun sinks below the horizon, giving her a safe place to slumber. (Psalm 23) Still, she tends to stray, looking for something more.

I am so much like this sheep.  Even though I have a loving and gentle shepherd who takes care of all my needs, I tend to look to other sources when things don't progress in the way I expect, or at the pace I desire, or with the outcome I imagine.  When things don't go the way I want, I tend to look elsewhere for answers.

Instead of being content to let God choose for me, I often use the free will He graciously gives me to look for other sources of wisdom, especially when things aren't going favorably for me.  How can this be?  Could it be that I view God as only one of many resources?

When I revere God as the one true source of all good things, standing in awe of His divine nature, I will gain wisdom that will guide me on the path of life. (Proverbs 9:10, Psalm 16:11) If instead I see good in other sources, believing that all roads lead to the same place, I'll find myself on a course that leads to death.  (Proverbs 16:25)

When Jesus walked among us as a man, He proclaimed Himself to be, "the way, the truth and the life."  Saying that, "No one comes to the Father except through me."  (John 14:6)  As such, He is the only way to life, the sole pathway to wisdom, and the single route to truth.  Therefore, I need never stray away from Him.

If I want to know the answer for every question I face, I need look no further than God through faith in Jesus.  When I go to Him, however, it must be without doubt, always intent on seeking His will, and using my whole heart.  (James 1:5-8Proverbs 3:5-6, Jeremiah 29:11-13)

When I don't hear from God regarding the battle I now face, I tend to stray when I think He is but one of many sources of wisdom and guidance.

Wait

He soars high among the clouds, his wings reaching toward the sun.  Effortlessly, he glides for hours, catching the updrafts that keep him afloat.  Here in the peace that is found high above the fray, he revels in his Creator.

The eagle was made to mount up to great heights, breathing the thin air that is found so high above the ground.  

In the same way, I am promised a similar ability to rise up above the problems that plague my life when I wait on the Lord.  (Isaiah 40:31)  Instead of feeling overwhelmed with what I now face, I can come closer to God, seeking His face and honing in on His goodness.  

In the place of living down in the weeds, overcome with all the details of life that will seemingly never come together in any way that will benefit me, I can keep my eyes of Jesus, reminding myself of all the ways He has empowered me to overcome.  (Hebrews 12:2)

While I am tempted to give up or give in, I can instead stand firm, believing that God will come through in His perfect timing.  (Ecclesiastes 3:11,1 Peter 5:8-9, 1 Peter 5:6-7)

God knows my situation perfectly.  He also sees the big picture and desires to use everything I encounter to form me into the image of His Son. (Romans 8:28-29) Therefore, I can trust God to bring me through whatever I now face in the way He sees fit.  There is never a need to panic when God is at the helm of my life!  Believing these truths will give me the strength to wait on Him.

When I don't hear from God regarding the battle I now face, I wait on the Lord when I believe He is sovereign over all things.


Saul easily turned to a medium so he could consult Samuel from the afterlife.  In so doing, he betrayed his wayward heart and revealed his lack of faith in God.  I am not so different.  When the going gets tough, how often do I worry or stray to other gods?  In so doing, I betray my own small view of a God who is one of many.  Instead of believing such nonsense about my God, it is time I grasp the fact that God is able to do more than I can ask or imagine, is my strong foundation, and rules supreme.  In these ways I will be able to wait on God even when He is silent.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to stay true to Him even when I can't sense His presence.

How am I easily knocked off my foundation of faith?

When do I tend to worry most?     


No comments:

Post a Comment