The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, May 26, 2014

This is the Lord's Day

"This is the day that LORD has made.
We will rejoice and be glad in it."
Psalm 118:24 NLT


I was the poster child for Murphy's Law.  Everything that could go wrong that morning, did go wrong.  The coffee maker broke.  I tore a hole in my favorite pair of socks.  In my haste, I busted my shoelaces.  The gas gauge was on empty.  Traffic was unusually heavy, causing me to be late.  My morning was not off to a good start.

On days like this, it is easy to focus on the negative, letting all that is going wrong bring me down.  God, however, has a different intention for me.  Instead of thinking about all that is bad, He would rather I focus on all that is good. (Philippians 4:8) There is much in which to rejoice and be glad this day; it just might take a little effort to find the blessings that are mixed in with the struggles.

Life.  Every breathe I take is a gift from the One who graciously gave me life in the first place.  (Psalm 139:13-18)  Sometimes, however, just the fact that I am still alive and kicking does not seem like a reason to rejoice.  After all, I may have a wicked day before me or the pain, heartache and struggle may give me cause to wonder as to the purpose for such a dismal existence.

Even though my life may not feel so much like a gift right now, of this I can be sure: Jesus came so that He could deliver not a mediocre life where I barely survive, but an abundant life which brings me great joy.  (John 10:10)  Such richness and meaning is not based on material wealth, worldly success or even popularity. In fact, it's not based on my circumstances at all. Instead, it is found in the joy of intimately knowing the One who made me.  

I was made for relationship with Him.  When I enter into such a meaningful relationship with the God of heaven and earth through faith in Jesus Christ, I will find my life to take on a new perspective.  The things that used to make me happy now seem meaningless. (Philippians 3:7-9) Now, in tandem with the One who loves me perfectly, I can weather any storm, walk through any difficulty, or withstand any trial.  (Philippians 4:13)

Through Jesus Christ, life can give me great joy!

Provision.  Every good thing I have ever enjoyed, or even those I took for granted, are gifts from the Father of heavenly lights.  (James 1:17)  He never fails to give me exactly what I need when I need it.  The problem is, my faulty line of thinking gives me the wrong perspective, causing me to look for what I don't really need and desire things that seem good but are really quite destructive.

Therefore, when I don't receive the things my heart is set on, I can trust God that He is protecting me from what may be harmful, what could draw me away from Him, or what could suck me into a downward spiral.  He can be trusted to choose what is best for me. (Philippians 4:19) If I wait on Him and His timing, I will never be disappointed.  (Isaiah 40:31)

As a child of God through faith in Christ, I no longer need to run after the things I think I need in order to live.  Instead, I can busy myself with doing what my Father has called me to do and let Him supply my needs. (Matthew 6:31-33) This means my life will look much different from the lives of those around me who are focused on going after what they want.

Through Jesus Christ, my needs are perfectly met!


This is the day the Lord has made.  Is there anything in which I can rejoice?  Yes!  I have not just life and breathe, but the gift of a rich and meaningful life as well the promise of being well-cared for by the God with endless resources.  Yes, I do have much in which to rejoice if I would only look in the right place.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can look for the good God is doing all around me.

When do I let the cares of this world bring me down?

How am I tossed around like a ship in the sea instead of standing firm on the Solid Rock? 

No comments:

Post a Comment