The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, May 2, 2014

Not What it Seems

"The men said,
'This is the day the LORD spoke of when he said to you,
"I will give your enemy into your hands
 for you to deal with as you wish."'
Then David crept up unnoticed
 and cut off a corner of Saul's robe.
Afterward, David was conscience-stricken
for having cut off a corner of his robe."
1 Samuel 24:4-5




It couldn't have been more perfect.  His enemy, the man who had been hunting him down like a lion stalks his prey, was finally delivered into his hands.  Unbeknownst to this persistent huntsman, his target hid in the shadows, watching his every move.  Surely this was God's providence, delivering Saul into David's hands.  Finally, David could put an end to this nonsense once and for all, killing the man who seemed to have lost his mind to anger and was obsessed with an evil intent to kill the young man he once loved. (1 Samuel 24)

It is easy to see the circumstances unfolding before me and assume that God is giving me a chance for revenge, or justice, or to defend my rights.  If I pay attention to His leading, however, I will come to the same conclusion as did David.  This man after God's own heart knew that "the battle belongs to the Lord" (1 Samuel 17:47) and that the Lord would rather His people demonstrate His mercy, love and forgiveness to a world bent on our destruction. (Hosea 6:6)

Mercy

The people pushed Him to the point of breaking, constantly doubting His provision, questioning His goodness, and wondering where He had gone, leaving them to suffer in solitude. (Exodus 16:332:7-8)  In reality, God always gives His people what they need, is intent on lavishing His love upon them, and never leaves them nor forsakes them. (Ephesians 1:3, 2 Peter 1:3, 1 John 3:1, Deuteronomy 31:6)

Even though I am just like the Israelites, showing myself to be unfaithful to the God who loves me, His mercies are new every morning.  He doesn't ever give up on me even though I often give up on myself.  He never throws in the towel as if to say, "Forget it!  She's never going to trust me enough to let me give her what I want.  I'm tired of her wishy-washiness!"  He doesn't give me what I really deserve.  (Psalm 103:5)

As His child by faith in Jesus Christ, He is grooming me to exhibit these same character traits of Christ. (Romans 8:28-29)  Therefore, when I am wronged, I can extend mercy.  When my flesh cries out to enact revenge, desiring to feel whatever satisfaction I may think will come out of getting back at those who hurt me, He has another path for me to follow.  His indwelling Spirit enables me to choose mercy over revenge.

When it seems God is setting me up to take vengeance upon those who hurt me, I must realize He desires for me to instead show His mercy.

Love

From the beginning they were nothing but trouble.  They refused to do as He commanded.  His most beautiful masterpiece constantly gave Him heartache.  In fact, the sin of mankind made His image bearers out to be His enemies.  Still, He demonstrated His great love for His wayward children by sending His own Son to live a wanderer's life and die a criminal's death.  (Romans 5:8,10, 1 John 3:16)

There is no greater love than the love God showed me by giving His precious Son as a sacrifice for me.  He sent His own down to become sin, suffering greatly as a result, so that I could taste freedom. (2 Corinthians 5:21) In order to give me a chance at life, He allowed His Son to taste death.  

How, then, can I even consider my own rights?  Jesus gave up all so that I could live an abundant life, yet I often am obsessed with so much less. (John 10:10) I get caught up in defending my privileges, what I think I deserve.  I focus too much on how I'm being treated by those around me.  I lose sight of my eternal hope and instead hone in on my temporary troubles. 

Since Jesus gave all out of love, I can likewise extend His brand of love to others.  When my flesh clings to all the ways I've been wronged, His love calls me to forget.  When it is so easy for me to seek my own best interests, His love calls me to do what most helps others.  When I naturally feel a bit of satisfaction to see someone get what I think they deserve, His love calls me to show compassion for their suffering. (1 Corinthians 13:4-8)

When it seems God is setting me up to defend my rights, I must realize His love demands a loving response.

Forgiveness

He could not forgive such an offense.  Due to His perfectly just nature, He cannot simply extend grace and mercy, overlooking His sense of justice.  He is not able to let things slide, even out of love.  The only way God could forgive the darkness of my sin is through the blood sacrifice of His perfect Son. (Hebrews 9:22)

It is easy for me to think that God forgives me because He loves me.  Yes, He does love me beyond measure.  But it goes against His sense of justice to simply overlook how I have offended Him and continue to do so.  My sin keeps me from God. (Isaiah 59:2

It is only through the cleansing blood of Jesus that my sins are covered so such a holy and just God is able to look upon me with love. (1 John 1:7) Through faith in Jesus, then, I am able to boldly approach the throne of grace to receive the grace and mercy I need. (Hebrews 4:16)

With such a rich heritage of forgiveness bought for me through the costly sacrifice of Christ, I am able to extend this forgiveness to those around me. (Ephesians 4:32) Instead of seeking my own brand of justice, I can let it go, allowing the blood of Jesus to cover the offense that wounds me so deeply.  In the place of going after what seems fair to me, I can turn away from the hurt and pardon the crime committed against me.  When I am tempted to carry out a sentence I have deemed as appropriate, I can instead put my hurt in God's hand and forgive those who seek to destroy me.  

When it seems God is setting me up to defend justice, I must realize the price He paid to empower me to forgive.


There are many times when circumstances seem to be working in my favor, giving me a chance to seek revenge, defend my rights or demand justice.  A closer look at God, however, reveals a nature that demands quite the contrary.  Instead, He desires for me to extend mercy, love and forgiveness as a way to show the world that He is the Lord my God, proving that things are not always as they seem.  


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can stop going by what I perceive and instead follow God's lead.

When do I let my flesh lead me to revenge?

How can I let go of the hurt that is developing a bitter root in my heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment