The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The King's Table

"'Don't be afraid!' David said.
'I intend to show kindness to you
because of my promise to your father, Jonathan.
I will give you all the property that once belonged
to your grandfather Saul,
and you will eat here with me at the king's table!'"
2 Samuel 9:7 NLT



His father was dead.  With his death, the end of peace in the land also arrived, with the people turning toward false gods and idols, bowing down to carved images.  He believed he was a natural-born leader and, against his father's values and ideals, hatched a plan to make it happen.  Once he received the support of his mother's family, he set about taking the throne by force, killing all but one of his brothers.  With his competition out of the way, Abimelech was free to rule the nation of Israel. (Judges 8:33-9:6)

It agrees with human nature to do away with any possible rivals when taking on a new position of power.  There is always the fear that someone else could overthrow the new leader's cabinet and force his way into position.  History is filled with stories of military coups, revolution and rebellion against an established government.  Therefore, it would be expected that David, upon institution of his new kingdom, would do away with his former rival.  Without performing this seemingly necessary slaughter of Saul's kin, there was always the chance that someone would rise up and claim the throne as his rightful own.

Surprisingly, David does not even consider such a measure.  Instead, he intends to show kindness to the line of Saul, searching for his relatives in an effort to restore them to their intended position as offspring of the king.  Out of respect for the promise he made to Saul's son, Jonathan, he would always show compassion for his enemy's kin. (1 Samuel 20:17)

David showed mercy to Saul's family for Jonathan's sake.  In the same way that David intended to keep that promise made to Jonathan, God is a God who is even more faithful and intends to keep the pledge made to Abraham to bless all people of the earth through him. (Genesis 12:3)  As a result, I can trust in what He says He will do through Jesus Christ His son.

Family

In an attempt to make me feel at home, my host told me that I was welcome to any food in the kitchen, to help myself to towels in the linen closet and to make myself comfortable.  Even though I wasn't born into their family, they were treating me as if I were a blood relative.

Similarly, God demonstrates His own love for me by sacrificing His own Son so that I could be adopted into His family. (1 John 3:1) As a daughter by faith in Jesus Christ, I can claim all the privileges of His natural Son.  In fact, I am considered a co-heir with Christ! (Romans 8:17)  

This means I can call God "Father" in the most intimate sense.  I can also expect to be cared for as a loving Dad tends to his own children's needs.  (Matthew 6:32)  When I am hurting, my Father will comfort me in a way that no one else can.  (2 Corinthians 1:3-4)  

As His child, I can also expect discipline in order to teach me how to live in accordance to His will.  If He didn't love me, He would simply leave me to my own devices, letting me run off the path of life.  Instead, He cares enough, as any good father does, to teach me the hard lessons of life.  (Hebrews 12:7-8)

Based on the lavish love of a God who keeps His promises, I am invited to become a part of His family through faith in Jesus Christ.

Abundant Life

The daily grind.  She hunkered down and got to work, praying for strength to get through each moment as it came.  The joy was gone, but she was making it by the skin of her teeth.  Even though she found no peace within her heart, she was thankful for her life.  Still, it seemed there should be something more.

It's easy to slip into survival mode, running from one activity to the other, struggling to pay the bills and keep the family healthy while providing for their needs, yet never taking a moment to enjoy the day God has graciously given.  If I'm not careful, I end up existing instead of flourishing as God intended.  In the place of blooming, I wither like those who don't know the Giver of life. (John 1:4)

Jesus came not just to give me eternal life, although the assurance of a heavenly home gives me much hope in times of struggle.  Jesus Christ went through 33 years of human existence culminating with a brutal death on a Roman cross so that I could live an abundant, rich, meaningful life. (John 10:10, Romans 5:17) So often I miss out on such bounty.

I'm too busy going after the same things the world values: beauty, success, riches.  I fail to notice the worth of a gentle touch, a kind word, or a thoughtful gift.  I'm so caught up in running after my own fleshly desires that I miss the divine offering of a bird's serenade, or a lovely blossom, or the melody of rain in the trees.  I often miss the simple pleasure found in a heart at peace, a life forgiven, and a hope eternal.  My life is no life at all; it is simply an existence.

Based on the generosity of a God who keeps His promises, I am offered an abundant life through faith in Jesus Christ.

Freedom

She lived on the edge, constantly in fear of being discovered.  Her past life was sure to catch up with her.  The woman believed it was only a matter of time before the authorities would track her down and give her what she deserved.  Still, she tried to live her new life as normally as possible, willing herself to find happiness in her new surroundings.

In the same way this fugitive from justice lived a life in constant fear of being found out, I can easily slip into this same mindset, living with a cloud of my sin hanging over me.  The thing is, Jesus did not die a criminal's death so that I would live in guilt and shame.  He did not willingly endure such torture so that I would live in fear of God's condemnation.  He did not allow Himself to be nailed to that cross and separated from His Father because of my sin so that I could go on living as if I were still bound to my sin.

Jesus died so that I could be free from sin.  The shackles with which my flesh once bound me have been broken. (Romans 6:18) My sin has been removed from me so that all God sees when He looks at me is the righteousness of Christ. (2 Corinthians 5:21)  The guilty verdict my sin earns me has been overturned.  (Romans 6:23, 8:1) Therefore, there is no guilt or shame: I am a sinner saved by grace and am always forgiven due to Jesus' sacrifice. (1 John 1:9)

Once I understand the love of God and His willingness to accept me as His own through faith in Jesus Christ, I can realize the security of such a position.  I no longer have anything to fear; I have been set free from the judgement my sin requires. (1 John 4:18)  

Therefore, I can live with a clear conscious, not beating myself up for all the ways I fall short or for the sin I am powerless to resist. (Romans 3:23, 1 John 1:8) Instead of giving in to the inevitable, I can live in tandem with God's Spirit, producing fruit I have never before seen in my own life.  Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control are all mine, flowing from the Spirit of God dwelling within me. (Galatians 5:16-25)  Instead of having no choice but to follow my flesh, I am empowered to be able to choose to go where God is leading me.

Based on the grace and mercy of a God who keeps His promises, I have freedom in Christ.


David mercifully invited Mephibosheth to dine at the king's table out of his desire to keep the promise he made to Jonathan.  Similarly, God will never go back on the pledge He made to Abraham to bless all of mankind through his bloodline.  As a result, through faith in Jesus Christ, an earthly descendant of Abraham and the Son of God Himself, I can enjoy the fruit of God's great love.  Through faith I am adopted into His family, am invited to live an abundant life, and have been mercifully given freedom from the burden of my own sin.  In these ways, I have been offered a place at the King of king's table.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can take God at His word and accept the free gift of salvation He offers through Jesus Christ.

How do I refuse to partake in these gifts so graciously offered to me?

When am I merely surviving instead of thriving?  

No comments:

Post a Comment