The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

From the Lord

"But some evil troublemakers among David's men said,
'They didn't go with us,
so they can't have any of the plunder we recovered.
give them their wives and children,
and tell them to be gone.'
But David said,
'No, my brothers!
Don't be selfish with what the LORD has given us.
He has kept us safe
and helped us defeat the band of raiders that attacked us.'"
1 Samuel 30:22-23 NLT



They fought a hard battle and came back to camp exhausted yet elated in their victory.  We did it!  We rescued all our wives, sons, daughters and even our livestock.  Everything that belonged to us is back in our possession.  This is a great day indeed!

The men of war strutted back into camp with their heads held high, their valiant efforts rewarded with victory.  Then they caught sight of the men who stayed behind, too exhausted to stand by their sides in battle.  Some thought, who are they to join in our celebrations?  They did nothing to help us regain our families.  Why should they share in the plunder?  They don't even deserve to get their wives and children back, pathetic as they are. (1 Samuel 30:16-22)

David, however, set these wayward men straight.  He reminded them to whom the battle belonged.  He knew better than to give into such foolish talk.  His belief that the battle belonged to the Lord was revealed in his response.

I am often faced with equally as challenging circumstances when I am tempted to take credit for a success, or use the world's system of justice as my own, or to base my giving on what I think others deserve.  In so doing, I am forgetting that everything I have is from the Lord.  When I remember this simple yet profound truth, my actions will reflect that belief.

Generosity

Our bodies are naturally inclined to be stingy.  If I need to lose weight, it seems rational to me that the less I eat, the more fat I will lose.  In reality, dipping below a certain calorie threshold will result in my body going into survival mode in order to prepare for a supposed upcoming famine. In an attempt to hold onto the fat it currently holds, this mechanism is meant to protect me in times of want, but ends up working against me when the starvation is self-imposed and I'm simply trying to shed some pounds.

This safe-guard mechanism reminds me of my own self-centered fleshly response to the thought of giving.  When I am faced with an opportunity to give to another in need, I tend to want to hang onto what I have just in case things turn bad for me.  What if I lose my job, or suffer a pay cut, or fall on hard times?  Wouldn't I be more wise to tuck this money away for such a rainy day?

In reality, everything in my possession comes from God.  He directs my paths, provides for my needs and is the source of all the good in my life.  As the One who owns the cattle on a thousand hills, He has no need of my pitiful offerings.  Still, it is His desire that I learn to trust Him with what is to come by being willing to open my hand in generosity to those in need around me.  And I am able to do so when I truly realize the vast resources of my Father in heaven and buy into His generous nature.

If I take on the attitude that there is plenty more where that came from, I will easily be able to share what I have with others. (2 Corinthians 8:9, Romans 8:32 ) If I live in fear of losing the little I have, I will struggle with giving even a pittance.

If I fully grasp the truth that my Father loves to give good things to those who ask, I will look for ways to share this same mindset. (Matthew 7:8-11,Romans 11:35-36) If I think He only gives if I earn it, I will develop a stingy heart that is rooted in judgementalism.

If I believe that the Lord cares for me in ways I cannot fathom, I will desire to give rather than receive. (Matthew 6:24-34, Acts 20:35) If I fear for my own welfare, sure that destruction is right around the corner, I will hang onto what I have as if my life depended on it.

Believing that God is the source of all good things leads to a generous heart.

Courage

The ability to step forward despite the fear that grips my heart.
Strength in the face of pain or grief.
The confidence it takes to act in accordance to one's beliefs.

The cowardly lion craved it, many-a-soldier has used it, and I often need it to face what frightens me.  Courage.  It is not something that comes naturally, but can be found as a by-product of trusting in God's provision.

When I'm afraid I will lose everything I have, reminding myself that God is the source of all good things gives me courage to step forward in faith. (James 1:17)  

When I don't think I can carry on in the face of all that I have lost, knowing that the God of compassion is with me, ready to deliver His loving comfort whenever I need it gives me courage to rise out of bed another day. (2 Corinthians 1:3

When it seems the world around me has gone mad and I'm the only one who stands for what is right, remembering the constant presence of the One who promised to never leave me nor forsake me gives me the courage to speak the truth in love. (Deuteronomy 31:6)

Believing that God is always with me leads to a heart of courage.

Confidence

I step forward timidly, unsure in my heart if I truly belong in such a magnificent place.  My sin weighs heavily upon me, giving me a feeling of unworthiness.  As a result, I keep my distance, doubting whether God would truly accept such a wounded soul as mine.

This faulty line of thinking often plagues my heart, planting seeds of doubt as to my acceptance by a loving God.  The reality of which I must constantly remind myself is that I am a sinner, yes, but a sinner who is saved by grace.  This salvation is not just so that I can live for all eternity in the place Jesus has prepared for me.  This salvation is also so that I can live in the here and now in perfect relationship with a holy God who loves me.

When Jesus took my sins upon Himself, dying a criminal's death on the unyielding cross of Calvary, He made a way for me to enter into communion with the Lord.  Instead of being considered His enemy because of my sin, I am no adopted into His family as His legitimate child.  (1 John 3:1, Romans 5:10)  When I truly grasp this unbelievable story of God's amazing grace and take it on as my own, I enter into the realm of confidence. 

This is not a confidence in who I am, but rather an assurance of who the blood of Jesus has made me to be: pure, righteous and newly whole. (1 Corinthians 1:30, 2 Corinthians 5:17)  Due to the unspeakable sacrifice of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, I can boldly enter into the presence of God where I will receive everything I need to live.  (Ephesians 3:12Hebrews 4:16)

With my newly-found confidence, I can fearlessly ask God for good things as He loves to give such gifts to those who ask.  (Matthew 7:7-8)  I need not be timid about going to God with the expectation that He will change the hardened heart of my loved one, or that He will restore my health, or that He will flood my anxious heart with peace.  Even if my request sounds absurd and many doubt my sanity, I can boldly approach my Father with whatever desire lies deep within me.  There is nowhere else where my wishes are as safe as they are with my Father who loves me freely.

Believing that I am fully accepted by God through faith in Jesus Christ leads me to a confidence in my relationship with Him.


David understood that God always provided, was always with him, and always accepted him freely.  Therefore, this man after God's own heart was able to live generously, courageously and confidently.  Knowing these truths that come from the Lord will give me a similar approach to life, and will lead me to live the abundant life Jesus came to deliver to me. (John 10:10)


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can remember that everything comes from God.

How do I live in fear because I think I have to somehow generate my own source of provision?

When do I live timidly because I'm unsure of my place in God's kingdom?     

No comments:

Post a Comment