The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Man of Honor

"Uriah replied,
'The Ark and the armies of Israel and Judah
are living in tents,
and Joab and my master's men are camping
in the open fields.
How could I go home to wine and dine
and sleep with my wife?
I swear that I would never do such a thing.'"
2 Samuel 11:11 NLT



He was not leading from the front.  When all other kings were fighting on the battlefield side-by-side with the men they commanded, he was at home lounging around in his palace.  While his loyal, committed men were following his orders, engaging the Ammonites in battle, he stayed back in the rear in the safety of his walled city and sumptuous quarters.  At this point in time, David was neither a king one could respect or honor. (2 Samuel 11:1)  

In contrast there was Uriah the Hittite who would never consider living in comfort while the rest of his comrades were roughing it.  He would never think of enjoying a reprieve while everyone else was risking their lives.  Giving himself a break when his fellow soldiers were given no such chance never crossed his mind.  This man of honor, while not king, proved himself to be more worthy of the crown than was David.

Proper Perspective

The ark represented the presence of God.  Even though God is not restricted by time or space as he is present in all places at all times, the people of Israel brought the ark of the covenant with them as a sign that the Lord would go with them wherever they went.  It was good for the soldiers to keep in mind that they belonged to the Lord, and He to them.  (Exodus 20:2, Isaiah 43:1-3, 2 Corinthians 6:16)

When Uriah was summoned by the king to leave the battlefield and return to Jerusalem, it could have been a great opportunity for some rest and relaxation.  He surely must have missed his wife and the comfort of his own bed.  Still, he refused to take advantage of such a break.  Even though he doesn't say anything about God or speak words of honor to His name, his actions tell a story of faith. 

Uriah recognized that the ark, a symbol of God Himself, stayed where the action was; on the front lines.  If the Lord did not rest, neither would he.  Uriah's perspective was a godly one, looking more to how God could receive glory rather than to how he could gain a respite.  He recognized God as His true leader and sovereign Lord, desiring to live in order to please Him.  Uriah knew without the Lord, He was nothing.

Therefore, this man of honor's actions followed his beliefs.  What would happen if I kept God in such a position of respect and reverence?  I most likely would keep pressing forward knowing that God goes before me, paving the way and fighting the battle for me.  I would probably not give up so easily when the going gets tough, instead realizing that God was using my situation to bring glory to Himself.  I would look more to how I could delight the Lord instead of focusing mostly on my own desires.

I can follow in Uriah's footsteps, living the honorable life by keeping a proper perspective where God is supreme.

Other-focused

My lab mix is a funny dog.  He loves his family so much that when one of us leaves the house, he watches intently for them to return.  When riding in the car with me, he will not take his eyes off the place where he last saw me as I run an errand, waiting with bated breath for me to come back.  When we leave him at home alone, I doubt he even drinks water for as soon as we walk in the door he heads to the water bowl.  He gives new meaning to "leave no man behind" when we take him on a walk, constantly checking behind him when positioned at the front of the pack.  He is definitely focused on others.

Uriah had a similar focus.  He would never think of relaxing and enjoying himself when all his buddies were living in the harsh conditions of the field.  While it would have been easy for Uriah to console himself with the thought that he should take advantage of this time that has been given him, he refused, thinking more of others than of himself.

What would happen if I gained a similar focus?  When a neighbor had a need, I would give preference to hers rather than worry about meeting my own.  I would reach out in confidence, knowing that God would take care of my necessities. (Matthew 6:32, Philippians 2:3-4)  

When time was short and my list of things-to-do was long but a hurting soul needed a listening ear, I would not hesitate to show compassion and give comfort, knowing that God's grace would allow me to finish doing what was really necessary. (Romans 12:10)

When I have my own agenda but my loved one has an altogether different idea, I would yield, realizing my way is not always the best way. (Ephesians 5:21)

I can follow in Uriah's footsteps, living the honorable life by keeping my focus on others instead of myself.

Pure of Heart

He tried every trick in the book; sending him home to the wife he loved and cherished, tempting him with a long-missed bath, lavishing him with gifts, lowering his inhibitions by getting him drunk.  David did his best to get Uriah to sleep with his wife.  Since Uriah's heart was pure, the lies and tricks of this wayward king had no effect.

What would happen if I were as firm in my beliefs, not easily swayed by temptation and suggestion?  The appeal of fleshly desires would lose their power, fading in comparison to the privilege of knowing Christ.  (Philippians 3:8-11)  

The lure of worldly knowledge would appear as foolishness in comparison to the wisdom that is lavishly given by a generous God.  (James 1:5-8)  

The temptation to put myself first, looking out for my own best interest above all things would be exposed for the lie that it is, replaced by the contentment that comes from godly living.  (1 Timothy 6:6-11)

Therefore, if I want a pure heart like that of Uriah, it can only come from God. (Psalm 51:10) There is no good within me that can generate such a genuine response.  I cannot hope to stand firm against such temptation by the sheer force of my will.  Instead, I need the power of God to accomplish such a feat.

I can follow in Uriah's footsteps, living the honorable life by depending on God to create a new heart within me that is immune to the fleshly lures of this world.


Uriah was a man of honor who held a proper perspective where God was at the center, who focused mostly on others, and whose heart was free from contamination.  As such, his actions reflected his character.  If I hope to live such a life, I will need to follow suit so I can develop a similar reputation for honorable living.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can keep my eyes focused on Jesus.  

When do I focus more on my own needs than on what I can provide for others?

How do I depend on my own effort to stand firm against temptation instead of seeking the purity that only comes from God?

No comments:

Post a Comment