The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Dead made Alive

"Once you were dead because of your disobedience
and your many sins.
You used to live in sin,
just like the rest of the world,
obeying the devil
--the commander of the powers in the unseen world.
He is the spirit at work in the hearts
of those who refuse to obey God.
All of us used to live that way,
following the passionate desires
and inclinations of our sinful nature.
By our very nature we were subject to God's anger,
just like everyone else.
But God is so rich in mercy,
and he loved us so much,
that even though we were dead because of our sins,
he gave us life when he raised Christ
from the dead.
(It is only by God's grace that you have been saved!)
Ephesians 2:1-4 NLT


Zombies are quite popular these days.  Everywhere I turn I see movies and television shows, new and old, like Resident Evil, Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies, The Walking Dead, Night of the Living Dead and Zombieland to name a few.  In each of these works of fiction, the dead have been brought back to life in some way but are no longer quite human.  

Thankfully, this is not at all what God had in mind when He gave me new life through Jesus Christ.  Even though I am considered to be like the living dead because of my sin and the punishment my transgressions deserve ( Romans 6:23, Colossians 2:13), the life God gives through faith in Jesus is much fuller and more meaningful than what the zombies must endure.

Objects of Wrath

Whatever pleasure one could think of could be found within the city walls.  Man lived for self gratification and life held no value or meaning.  People were used, abused and tossed aside as so much refuse.  Sodom and Gomorrah was on God's hit list as a place that vilified everything He deemed as good and wholesome, instead embracing the evil that so easily entangles the human soul. (Genesis 18:20-21,19:1-29)

As despicable and depraved as were the activities found in this ancient city, I am really no different than those living there.  My heart is equally as wicked. (Jeremiah 17:9)  As much as I like to think of myself as better than the most evil of people, in God's eyes, my sinful nature makes me His enemy deserving of punishment. (Colossians 1:21)

Just by me being human, I am placed on God's hit list as one who cannot please Him in my present state and who deserves the death penalty.

Alive in Christ

They did everything possible to make Him angry.  They disobeyed, didn't appreciate His provision, doubted His protection and constantly went their own way, wandering away from His teachings.  No one in their right mind would want to continue leading such an incorrigible group! 

No one, that is, except for God.  In His great love and mercy, He saved the Israelites from their own obstinance, time and time again.  There wasn't anything special about this nation that drove God to extend grace.  In fact, the case could be argued that these were the most undeserving of people.  Instead, it was the unfathomable grace of God that compelled Him to love as His nature dictates. (1 John 4:8)  

In the same way, I am saved from the consequences of my own sin by the sacrifice Jesus made on the cross. (Romans 5:8)  Just as the Israelites were given another chance time after time, God's mercy toward me never ends.  As Jeremiah wrote in Lamentations 3:22-23, "Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.  They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness."

Just by God being God, I am made alive in Christ, even though I don't deserve such a gift.

Raised Up

When zombies come back to life, they are not really the same as they were before.  There is something missing; a sense of consciousness, self-awareness, and. . .well. . .life!  They might be walking around of their own accord but they could hardly be considered as alive.

When I am raised up with Christ from the grave where I am found dead in my sin, I enter into a new way of living; an abundant life where I experience the incomparable riches expressed in the kindness of God. (Ephesians 2:6-7John 10:10, 1 Peter 1:3-4)  Instead of living like I used to live where what I wanted mattered most, God has given me the desire to live for Him. (Philippians 2:13)  In this way, I am made complete.

When I enter into a relationship with God based on faith in Jesus Christ, I am raised up with Him so I can experience the fullness of life that God has intended for me.


God has so much more for my life than what I can muster up on my own.  Once I realize I am unable to save myself from the death my sins earn for me, I can receive life through the mercy and love of God in sending Jesus to take my punishment for me.  In this way, I am then raised up with Christ where I experience an abundant life of meaning as I live in relationship with a loving God.  Now this is what I call the dead being made alive!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can remember for what God has saved me.

When do I most tend to live for myself instead of God?

How do I think I can impress God with my efforts instead of accepting the gift of grace He offers?

No comments:

Post a Comment