The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Commendation

"We do not dare to classify or compare ourselves
with some who commend themselves.
When they measure themselves by themselves
and compare themselves with themselves,
they are not wise.
We, however, will not boast beyond proper limits, 
but will confine our boasting to the sphere of service God himself has assigned to us,
a sphere that also includes you. 
We are not going too far in our boasting,
as would be the case if we had not come to you,
for we did get as far as you with the gospel of Christ.
Neither do we go beyond our limits by boasting
of work done by others.
Our hope is that, as your faith continues to grow,
our sphere of activity among you will greatly expand,
so that we can preach the gospel in the regions beyond you.
For we do not want to boast about work already done in someone else's territory.  
But, 'Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.'
For it is not the one who commends
 himself who is approved,
but the one whom the Lord commends."
2 Corinthians 10:12-18


Powerlifting is a sport consisting of three events: Bench press, squat, and deadlift.  Each one provides an opportunity for the athlete to demonstrate his or her strength and power.  When I competed in powerlifting, I learned the proper technique and methods of training.  Being naturally strong, I excelled, making it to the Nationals and setting some records for my division.  

One area I struggled in, though, was in going down low enough on the squats.  The regulations required that my hip joint fall below my knee at the lowest point of the movement.  While I felt like I was practically sitting on the floor when I squatted down with the weight on my shoulders, the judges at the competitions were using specific guidelines to decide whether or not the lift was good, and what they were seeing clearly fell short.  Until I rectified this problem, several of my squat attempts were disqualified for failing to meet the standard.

It's the same with me and my walk with the Lord:  My own perception of myself is not accurate.  Either I'm not as bad as I think, or I'm looking at myself through rose-colored glasses, seeing myself as better than I am.  Whichever category in which I fall, I can't deny the fact that I'm not a good judge of my own character.

In order to walk closely with the Lord, I need to see things more from His perspective.

Comparison

There was a man who was willing to go to great lengths to deliver the messages God sent for the people of Israel.  Most probably looked at him as a righteous, honorable man of God to be esteemed.  At the beginning of his ministry, when Isaiah saw the Lord seated on His throne in all His glory, he, however, was only aware of his own unworthiness.  His response to a Holy God was,  "Woe to me! . .I am ruined! for I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty." (Isaiah 6:5)

Comparing myself to others, or letting others exalt me, gives me an inaccurate picture of my state.  Evaluating my condition against the Lord Himself, however, shows me my true identity: A Sinner incapable of any good.  Without the blood of Jesus cleansing me of all iniquities, I have no hope. 

My own accomplishments are nothing to brag about, but my identity as a sinner saved by grace through faith in Jesus is something about which I can spend a lifetime boasting.

Obedience

Later, this same mighty prophet of God was asked to do the unthinkable.  As one who took seriously the commands of God, it would have been improper and downright blasphemous for him to be seen in public without proper covering.  God, however, gave Isaiah the direction to do just that.  

For three years, he was required to go about his life without clothing or shoes.  In this way, God was delivering a stark warning to His people: do not trust in the might of Egypt and Cush, for I will soon humiliate them and use Assyria to carry them off, stripped and barefoot, into exile. (Isaiah 20)  

God gives each of us a ministry, a purpose, and a calling.  While my friend may excel in serving others, I have different gifts.  If I were to compare myself to what she is doing out of obedience to God, I would start to feel incompetent and worthless.  When, however, I pay attention to my own relationship with God and where He is leading me, it is then that my life takes on a sense of purpose and meaning.

Like Isaiah, my calling may not make sense to anyone but God.  My obedience to His purpose for my life, however, will result in much blessing.

When walking down the path on which my Shepherd is leading me, it is important that I keep my eyes front and center, trusting God with my whole heart.

Promotion

Anything at all was his for the asking.  God appeared to the young king in a dream with this incredible offer.  Instead of going for the obvious requests of riches and power, Solomon asked for understanding and discernment in leading his people.  Pleased, God gave him what he asked for, but also what he did not request: Wealth and honor so that the reputation of King Solomon would be great among all the world!  (1 Kings 3:5-14)

It is easy for me to get into the habit of tooting my own horn.  I can justify this habit with the thought that no one really knows how difficult my life is, how much I sacrifice, or how hard I labor for the Lord, so I must enlighten them.  The truth is, however, that God is the One who truly sees my efforts and His opinion is the only One that should count to me. (Galatians 1:10)

Let me take a lesson from Solomon and allow God to be the One doing the promoting instead of trying so hard to get for myself what I think I deserve.


My perspective is shallow and self-centered, making me a horrible judge.  Instead of trying to use myself or others as a standard, taking my cue to act from other believers, or working hard to lift my own efforts up for all to see, I can let God be the yardstick, shepherd and promoter.  In this way I am leaving all commendation in His hands as I keep my focus on Him.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can let go of all desires to promote myself or the ministry to which I'm called.

How do I think I'm better than I am, or that I'm not good enough to be used by God?

When do I look for ways to seek praise? 

No comments:

Post a Comment