The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Spiritual Blessings in Christ

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
who has blessed us in the heavenly realms
with every spiritual blessing in Christ.
For he chose us in him before the creation of the world
to be holy and blameless in his sight.
In love,
he predestined us for adoption to sonship
 through Jesus Christ,
in accordance with his pleasure and will--
to the praise of his glorious grace,
which he has freely given us in the One he loves.
In him we have redemption through his blood,
the forgiveness of sins,
in accordance with the riches of God's grace
that he lavished on us.
With all wisdom and understanding,
he made known to us the mystery of his will
according to his good pleasure,
which he purposed in Christ,
to be put into effect when the times reach their fulfillment--
to bring unity to all things in heaven
and on earth under Christ."
Ephesians 1:3-10


I don't know much about the Catholic Church, but it is interesting to watch the process of choosing a new Pope.  Once he is elected, that man will receive power and authority to make decisions that will affect millions of people.  

It makes me think of the power I have in Christ.  God chose me before creation to live a holy life for Him.  The only way I can do that, however, is through the power and authority that comes by Christ and in Christ.

As one who has received this power, I have many spiritual blessings in Christ awaiting me in the heavenly realms.

Predestination

He was destined to rule over his older brother, chosen by God for His own purposes.  The boy did nothing to deserve any special favor; in fact, he was found to be quite the trickster, preferring to get what he wanted using deceptive methods.  The bottom line, however, was that God had chosen Jacob as the one who would carry forth the lineage of blessing that came through his grandfather Abraham.  (Genesis 25:23, Romans 9:11-12, Genesis 12:2-3)

For no other reason than to fulfill God's plan, I was also chosen before birth, just like Jacob, to be adopted into God's family through faith in Jesus Christ.  While I might think I accepted Jesus as my Savior completely out of my own good judgement, God is the one who opened my heart to my need for Him and drew me to Himself.  (John 6:44)

One of the spiritual blessings I have received is the adoption as God's child through His sovereign grace.

Redemption

She was living in a foreign land; widowed, childless and destined to live a beggar's life with her mother-in-law.  Unless a close relative was willing to take her as his own, forfeiting the right to any children they would have in order that the offspring would carry on her first husband's family line, she was as good as dead.

Thankfully, Boaz was such a man.  At great sacrifice to himself and his own legacy, he took on Ruth as his wife. (Ruth 3-4)  She was saved from the shame and hardship of living without the protection of a man and was able to give her beloved mother-in-law, Naomi, a son.

In the same way, I have been saved from the death my sins deserve through the sacrifice of Jesus.  He took my sins upon Himself so that I might live the life of a righteous woman.  (Isaiah 53:5-6, Romans 3:22)

One of the spiritual blessings I have received is redemption in the forgiveness of my sins. (Colossians 1:13-14)

Revelation

The curtain kept all out except a select few who, after consecration and preparation, were allowed to enter only once a year on the Day of Atonement.  The veil prevented anyone else from entering into the Holy of Holies and the presence of God Himself.

Once this curtain was torn at the moment of Christ's death, I gained access to the presence of God through the cleansing of my sin by the blood of Jesus.  The mystery of God has now been revealed to all who believe on Jesus as their Savior. (Colossians 1:27)  Instead of wondering who God is, I can know Him intimately.  (John 17:3)

As I keep myself from going in the way of the world and instead let Christ transform my way of thinking through my relationship with Him, He reveals the plan God has for me.  (Romans 12:2)

One of the spiritual blessings I have received is the revelation of the mystery of God's will.


Once I realize the spiritual blessings Christ has freely given to me, I can live as He has called me to live.  In His love, He has adopted me through no doing of my own.  Through His blood, I have been offered forgiveness of all my sins.  Finally, in accordance to God's amazing grace, I have been granted understanding into the ways of God.  For this I say as Paul did, "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ!" (v 3)


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can live with these blessings always at the forefront of my mind.

How do I forget I was chosen by God and instead try to take credit in some way for my salvation?

When am I living a life of shame and regret instead of fully forgiving myself as I've been forgiving?

    

No comments:

Post a Comment