The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Freedom to Love

"For you have been called to live in freedom,
my brothers and sisters.
But don't use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature.
Instead,
use your freedom to serve one another in love.
For the whole law can be summed up
in this one command:
'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"
Galatians 5:13-14


"A good Christian family shouldn't own that kind of movie."  From the other room I overheard this heart-piercing proclamation as my well-meaning friend returned a borrowed DVD to my daughter. 

It's easy to get caught up in arguments about the law; what a "good Christian" should or should not do.  But we are free from the burden of following the whole law through faith in Jesus Christ, not so we can sin, but so we can love. (Matthew 11:30, Romans 7:6)

Serve

Fever wracked her body, sending her consciousness into the realm of confusion and disorientation.  One day melted into another, the fog of sickness only broken by the touch of a loved one's gentle, cool hand.  Peter's mother-in-law was near death when the Healer arrived, delivering her from the depths of delirium. (Matthew 8:14-15)

The first thing this woman did when healed was to begin serving her Master by preparing a meal for Him.  Jesus has delivered me from many areas of bondage, as well, but I am free not simply for my own enjoyment.  Just as He came not to be served, but to serve; I, too, am saved for a purpose that is greater than myself.  (Mark 10:45)

I am free from the law of sin and death so that I can love God by serving others, considering their needs before I think of my own. (Romans 8:2, Philippians 2:3-4)

Bear

The fighting men took great care in protecting the sheep and shepherds belonging to an unknown wealthy man.  When it came time for shearing, the leader respectfully asked for provisions in return.  Unfortunately, the foolish farmer saw no value in returning the favor and rudely denied their appeal for help.

It must have been hard for Abigail, a sensible and beautiful woman, to be married to such an imbecile.  Fortunately for Nabal (and it turns out David), he married well, despite his poor character.  It would have been easy for Abigail to lambaste her husband for his rough and insensitive ways, but instead she smoothed things over, knowing that this was what needed to be done even though it was something her husband was incapable of doing. (1 Samuel 25)

Just as Abigail saved her family that day from the vengeance of David, my desire to bear with others in their weaknesses can prevent a world of hurt.  Accepting those around me as they are gives God a chance to work on them in the way He sees fit.  When I try to make the changes come about myself or force a loved one to do the right thing, I usually only end up with strife and pain.

I am free from the law of sin and death so that I can love God by making allowances for the faults of others. (Ephesians 4:2)

Submit

At great peril to himself, the outcast stopped to help the victim who lay suffering in the hot sun.  Even though it was dangerous to pause on this stretch of the highway, or for him to even come into contact with this favored race of people, he considered the needs of this man to be more important than his own safety.  As a result, the despised Samaritan saved the dying Jewish man.  (Luke 10:30-37)

It is easy for me to help those I like and get along with, but a bit more difficult for me to think of sticking my neck out for those who are different than I or who get under my skin.  Love, however, never gives up and always is ready to believe the best of any person.  (1 Corinthians 13:7)  Putting the needs and rights of my brother and sisters before my own out of respect for Christ is my calling.  (Ephesians 5:21)

I am free from the law of sin and death so that I can love God by yielding my own rights for those of others.


I am not a good judge of Christian behavior, although I easily tend to place myself in that role.  Instead of worrying about how others are living, I have been freed from judging myself and others based on the law.  Not that this means I can do whatever I want without consequence, but that I have been liberated from the heavy yoke of the law so that I can love by serving, bearing with and submitting to one another.  In this way I have the freedom to love.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can not get caught up in "should" and "should not" when it concerns the law and simply let God love through me.

How do I fail to walk with the Spirit in my day-to-day life and instead try to behave in the way I think I should?

When does my own effort to do good fall short?

No comments:

Post a Comment