The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, March 29, 2013

Live in Christ

"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord,
continue to live your lives in him,
rooted and built up in him,
strengthened in the faith as you were taught,
and overflowing with thankfulness."
Colossians 2:6-7


Lao-tzu, an ancient Chinese philosopher, is credited with saying, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."  I can't get anywhere I want to go unless I start moving in the right direction. 

It's the same with living for Jesus: the first step is to accept Him as my Lord and Savior, inviting Him into my life so I can live in relationship with Him.  This, however, is only the first step.  For nearly 16 years after I made a profession of faith in Christ, I stopped right there, not moving one inch further on my journey of faith.  When I finally did get out of that rut, I found that life in Christ was so much more than just being saved; it was about living in Him and with Him, letting His love flow through me as I trusted Him with all things.  Suddenly, the journey had begun!

Dear reader, do not stop at the very beginning of this adventure.  Instead of just receiving Christ as your Savior, resting in the fact that you are saved, continue the journey and strive to live in Him, and you will find so much more!

Rooted and Built Up

She was beautiful and desirable.   His hormones surged as she brushed up against him, luring him with her seductive ways.  He was tempted to give in, after all, he was a young man with desires that had been put on ice for a long time.  What would it hurt?

These could have been the thoughts and struggles of Joseph as his master's wife attempted to entice him with her wily ways.  This man, however, was grounded in the truth of who God was to him: He was Lord of His life!  Therefore, Joseph said to the temptress, "How could I do such a wicked thing and sin against God?"  (Genesis 39:9)

When I make Jesus Lord of my life, I am grounded in the Truth so I can stand firm, not wavering in my beliefs or giving into temptation.

Strengthened in Faith

She had nothing, yet she gave the most.  As her two small coins tinkled together, barely drawing the attention of those standing near the temple treasury, her faith made a mighty statement.  By placing all she had into God's hands, she was telling Him that she trusted Him to take care of her.  Her actions spoke volumes of who she believed God to be: her sole provider. (Mark 12:41-44)

In the same way, I can choose to trust God as I walk in faith with Jesus.  Either I can let the problems, like too many bills, wayward children, or health concerns overwhelm me.  Or I can move forward as if everything will be okay, knowing in my heart that God has already taken care of it.

When I make Jesus Lord of my life, I am strengthened in my faith so I can choose to believe He is the sovereign Source of all good things.

Overflowing with Thankfulness

"Thank you, Lord, for the fleas in this barracks room."  Betsie Ten Boom and her sister Corrie were putting 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 into practice as they endured the horrific conditions of Ravensbruck concentration camp located in northern Germany during World War II.  They had been imprisoned there due to their efforts to hide Jews in their home in Haarlem, the Netherlands.

The heart of a woman who would even think to thank God for such a nuisance and vessel of suffering as a flea is the heart of a woman who is looking for the good things God is doing.  When you seek Him, Jeremiah 29:13 says, you will find Him.  And He did not disappoint Betsie because soon she found the blessing of the fleas: The annoying pests kept the guards away so that she could hold Bible studies with the women in the crowded barracks without fear of discovery.

When I make Jesus Lord of my life, my heart becomes overflowing with thankfulness so I can focus on all the good that God is doing all around me.



It's easy to get stuck at the beginning of this journey of faith.  Instead of stopping before I've barely begun, though, I want to keep walking forward, striving to live with Christ and in Him.  When I take His ways seriously and I will find myself to be rooted and built up in Him, strengthened in faith, and filled beyond measure with a grateful spirit.  This is what it means to live in Christ!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can keep moving forward in faith.

When am I most apt to focus on the negative instead of letting my gratefulness show?

How do I waver in my faith, forgetting that my roots are strong?

No comments:

Post a Comment