The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

A Life Worthy

"So we have not stopped praying for you
since we first heard about you.
We ask God to give you complete knowledge of his will
and to give you spiritual wisdom and understanding.
Then the way you live will always honor
and please the Lord,
and your lives will produce every kind of good fruit.
All the while,
you will grow as you learn to know God better and better.
We also pray that you will be strengthened with all his glorious power so you will have all the endurance and patience you need.
May you be filled with joy,
always thanking the Father.
He has enabled you to share
in the inheritance that belongs to his people,
who live in the light."
Colossians 1:9-12 NLT


I regularly meet with a young lady who is a new believer in Christ.  Every time we get together, God amazes me through what He is doing in the heart of this high school freshman.  This week she shared how God is giving her an understanding of His Word unlike anything she has ever experienced.  

You see, my sweet young friend has always struggled with Attention Deficit Disorder and has always seen school as a challenge.  The Bible, however, is a different story.  When she reads, she comprehends.  She looks forward to opening her beloved pink Bible and eagerly awaits what God will show her each day.  She says studying the Bible is easy while studying schoolwork has always been hard.

God gives each one of us as His children a similar kind of insight into the truths found in His Word.  Why does He give us this wisdom and understanding?  Is it so I can live a successful, happy life?  I would submit that there is so much more than this!

Producing

The master went away, entrusting his treasure with three of his servants.  To each he gave according to their abilities.  When he returned from his lengthy trip, he found a curious thing;  to those whom much had been given, he found that they rose to the occasion and an abundance was returned to him.  But to the one whom the master had given the minimum, he came home to find that the servant had fearfully buried his allotment, afraid to lose what little he had. (Matthew 25:14-30)  

I have also been given talents, abilities and possessions.  The way I view these blessings tells me how closely I am related to my Lord and Savior.  If I think of them as gifts given to enrich my own life, I'm seeing things from my own point of view.  But if I consider these blessings as investments in God's kingdom which are meant to be used to bear fruit, then I am thinking in a godly way.

Whether it is the fruit of the Spirit or the evidence seen of a life transformed, fruit is a natural extension of being connected to Jesus. (Galatians 5:22-23, 2 Corinthians 5:17, John 15:2)

Growing

I would not call myself an expert gardener, but I have some experience growing all kinds of vegetation.  One thing that I have learned over the years is that the preparation of the soil is the most time consuming part of the process of gardening, and is considered to be the most important element in giving the plant a good start and ensuring a healthy life.  

In a similar way, I must also pay attention to the condition of my heart as the medium in which God plants the seed of His life within me.  As Jesus told in the parable of the sower, if I am hard-hearted, the Gospel will not even penetrate my being and has no chance to take root.  Another danger is if my reception of His Word is not deeply rooted but only superficial, the first trial that comes my way will be the end of my faith.  Then there is the possibility that I could let the worries and distractions of life choke out the good news that Jesus is waiting to speak into my life. (Luke 8:4-15)

It is important that I prepare the soil of my heart to give the Word of Life the best possible chance to grow and mature.  Then I will more intimately know Him and His ways, and better understand how He works in my life and in the lives of those around me.

Growth in the knowledge and understanding of God is to be expected when I prepare my heart by being willing to receive all He has for me.

Strengthening

Anyone who lives in a mobile home knows that their house is not a safe place be during a tornado watch.  Emergency warning systems urge us to go to the nearest substantial shelter, move to an interior, windowless room on the lowest floor and hunker down until the watch is over.  

Without a strong foundation, any shelter is not safe in a storm of this kind.  Likewise, in order for me to weather the difficulties God allows into my life, I will need to build on the truth of the Gospel.  As I stand firm on this solid ground, God gives me the power in which to be strengthened for whatever will come my way.  

Not only will God give me the fortitude to keep from being blown away, but He will also give me the ability to keep a positive attitude as I trust God to bring good through the trials.

God gives me the power with which to give me the strength to withstand any storm that comes my way, and to experience peace in the midst of the worst.



When I get closer to God, like my young friend is, I experience a deep wisdom and understanding that can only be explained as from Him.  This is not just for my own benefit, but so that I will be shown as His by the fruit I bear, make Him known in the way I grow in the knowledge of His ways and His kingdom, and bring glory to Him as I stand strong with a song on my lips through the highest waves of life.  Yes, this is a life worthy to be lived!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can see beyond what I can gain from God's blessings and instead ask what more He has for me.

When do I stunt my own growth by looking for worldly wisdom instead of God's?

How is my present situation bringing glory to God?

No comments:

Post a Comment