The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, July 23, 2012

Sinner's Table

"When the Pharisees saw this,
they asked his disciples,
'Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?'
On hearing this, Jesus said,
'It is not the healthy who need a doctor,
but the sick.
But go and learn what this means:
I desire mercy, not sacrifice.
For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.'"
Matthew 9:11-13


"I don't go to church.  It's hard to find one that's not filled with hypocrites."
"I just worship God on my own.  I'll never set foot back in a church; there's too much backstabbing and judging going on in there."
"More people have been brought into the church by the kindness of real Christian love than by all the theological arguments in the world, and more people have been driven from the church by the hardness and ugliness of so-called Christianity than by all the doubts in the world."  William Barclay, 20th Century Scottish Theologian

There's no doubt about it, many people have been hurt by the things that go on inside of a church or by those who claim to follow Jesus.  If God is love, and we are called to be conformed to the likeness of Christ Jesus, then why are so many hurt when they come looking for Him?  

If Jesus was here today, with whom would he hang out?  If He walked through the door of my church, would I recognize Him?  These are interesting questions to ponder; queries that get to the core of Jesus' heart.

It's easy for me to think I know God pretty well; after all, I study His Word, write about Him, talk about Him, talk to Him and learn as much as I can about Him.  But all this makes me is an expert on Him and His law.  But God is much bigger than that and He desires so much more from me than just my brain.  He wants me to pursue a personal relationship with Him, where I listen to Him, obey Him, surrender my all to Him, and let Him use me to love others.  Instead of me thinking of myself as a student in God's school, maybe I should think of myself as an empty vessel waiting to be filled with Him.

If Jesus were here today and I wanted to hang out with Him, I'd have to sit at the sinner's table.

Sick

I recently took a friend of mine to the doctor for a follow-up appointment.  He is helping her to manage several different issues.  Before she knew the source of her pain and malaise, her life was miserable.  Now that the doctor has identified the issues, she can treat it with the medications he prescribed along with some lifestyle changes.  The diagnosis made all the difference in the world.

Likewise, I have a lot of pain and suffering in my life.  Until I realize the source of my discontentment and sorrow, I am destined to muddle along as best as I can.  Once I come into contact with Jesus, my sin is revealed as the source of the trouble. I begin to realize the depth of my transgressions.  I understand that I am not worthy to stand before I holy God, let alone enter into a relationship with Him.  I need healing!

Confessing Jesus as my Savior does not take the sin away; rather it makes me right with God despite my inability to meet His standard.  Now, even though my sins are blood-red, they'll be made snow-white through faith in Jesus Christ.  Even though I'm sick with the disease of sin, the blood of Jesus makes me healthy.  But I could never be made right if I didn't know I was wrong.  Just as a doctor can't help someone who won't admit to their need for medical intervention, so Jesus can't save someone who won't admit their need for a Savior.

If I already think I'm pretty good on my own, I'm not ready for Jesus, and I won't let myself be caught dining at the sinner's table.  But if I realize how far short I fall of God's standard, which is perfection, then I will gladly join Him as He dines with all those who see their need for Him.

It's not that some of us need Jesus and others don't: We all fall short.  Until I recognize that I'm not good enough on my own, I'll never get to experience the grace of God that comes through Jesus Christ.  

There's no doubt that I'm sick, but until God brings me to the place where I'm ready to admit it, I won't be healed of the disease of sin by the Great Physician.

Mercy

Humans are merciless.  If you don't believe this, watch a group of children play the game, "Mercy" where two players grab each others' hands and try to bend their opponents wrists back, causing much pain.  Finally, one player will cry out, "Mercy!" and the other will let go, claiming victory.

Jesus knew this truth as He came to earth in human form.  He knew that men would hate Him, abuse Him, accuse Him and mistreat Him.  In short, Jesus knew what was in a man.  Jesus knows we get caught up in rules and that it comes naturally for me to apply those standards to others instead of to myself.  In this way, I become hard and unloving.  I push people away with my heavy yoke: my impossible expectations.  Even worse, I drive others away from God as I judge them in His name.

But it was never meant for me to apply the standard to anyone but myself.  When I read His Word, it is meant for me.  When I study the scriptures, I am to use it to allow God to teach me, rebuke me, correct me and train me in righteousness so that I will be thoroughly equipped for every good work.  (paraphrase of 2 Timothy 3:16-17)

When I take all that He is teaching me, and instead apply it to others, I become merciless.  I put myself in the position of God, judging where someone else is off and when they need correction.  Only God, in His holiness and perfection, is able to point out sin, and only He holds the antidote.  When I see only what others do wrong, but fail to notice my own imperfections, I am in danger of becoming a hypocrite.

Jesus was so hard on the Pharisees because they expected more from others than they were willing to do themselves.  Each and every believer is in danger of becoming a Pharisee.  We must fight the inclination to judge ourselves by our own standards and think we're pretty good, instead of remembering the truth of our sinful nature.  

When I remember who I am, then I can cut others a break.  When I keep my sin before me as I remind myself I am saved by grace, I can let God work in other's lives instead of thinking I need to show them the error of their ways.  When I keep in mind that I'm lost without Jesus, I can point others to Him.

Taking into account how much Jesus has forgiven me for helps me to extend that mercy to others.

Called

I remember the hymn, "I have decided to follow Jesus."   While the intent of the song is clear: I've made up my mind to surrender my all to Jesus and live my life for Him, it can also be mistaken to mean that the desire to accept Jesus as my Savior comes from within.

As difficult as it may be to accept or understand, God is sovereign and I can never see my need for Jesus without His supernatural work in my heart.  Without God drawing me to Jesus, I would never see my sin and desire His gift of salvation.  I am called to follow Jesus.

As one who was plucked by God out of the fire, I now have a choice to make.  Do I live my life for me, or do I dedicate my life as a living sacrifice, ready to let him mold me into the image of His Son?  

I have a choice to live for my own comfort and pleasure, or to let Him act as my refiner, holding me to the fire of tribulation in order to purify me.

I can decide to hold back parts of my life from Him, fearing where He might lead me, or I can surrender my all to Him and follow Him wherever He may lead me.

As one who is called to salvation, I am now free to live my life as a sinner whose been set free.


God is a loving, merciful and compassionate God.  But I am a hateful, cold and uncaring human.  Out of His great love for me, though, He has shown me my need for Him, given me the opportunity to extend the same mercy He gives to me and Has called me His very own child.  When I remember these truths, I can act as a beacon of hope in a dark world, drawing people to Him.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can remember my need for Jesus.

How do I think I'm good enough on my own instead of a sinner in need of God's grace?

When do I refuse mercy to others?   

No comments:

Post a Comment