The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Freely

"Freely you have received,
freely give."
Matthew 10:8b



Blood flowed freely from His side as the spear pierced through His flesh; the very blood that covers my sin and yours, making us appear clean and pure before a holy God.  

The words came sudden and unexpected amidst the flying insults and shameful treatment, "Forgive them Father, they know not what they do!"

The criminal hung by His side, painfully aware of his guilt.  "I deserve to be here, but you are innocent.  Jesus, please remember me when you come into your kingdom!
Jesus replied, "I will.  In fact, today you will be with me in paradise!"

Finally, as the end came, He uttered the words that signaled the completion of God's plan of redemption.  "It is finished."

God freely gives me so much through His Son, Jesus Christ.  Since I am blessed in such a powerful way and I am being conformed into the image of Jesus, I am called to liberally and generously pass on all that He so lavishly gives.

Love

The haze of smoke spread quickly through the darkened theater.  Confusion ruled as viewers waffled between fear for their lives and amazement that the special effects seemed so real.  Then came the gunfire.  The young man jumped to action, ordering his girlfriend to the floor, shoving her under the seats as he covered her body with his.  "Stay still!" he hissed.  

Several young men saved their beloveds' lives that horrible day at a Colorado theater by sacrificially protecting them.  While no one really knows how they will react in times of emergency, these men acted in a way that demonstrated the protecting qualities of love: God's love always saves from harm.

Love is many things, as described in 1 Corinthians 13:4-8  , but the way God best demonstrated His own love for us is that He sent Jesus to die for me even though I was His enemy because of my sin.  Those young men in the theater nobly gave their lives for the one who reciprocated their love.  But Jesus died for me even though I didn't know Him, care for Him or even realize I needed Him.  

As one who has freely received the gift of salvation that came through faith in Jesus; a gift of love that set me free from the bondage of sin, I am called to generously express that love to those He placed around me.  Not just to those who give in return or who seem to appreciate it, but to everyone.  

Who needs God's love more than the angry, bitter man who runs the local bookstore and bites my head off every time I try to strike up a conversation?  The neighbor who takes and takes but never gives could use a dose of God's persevering love.  The coworker who gossips and wreaks havoc in the office needs to taste the kind and merciful love of God.

God freely lavishes His love upon me so that I can pour it out into the lives of those around me.

Forgiveness

The Vietnam-era photo of nine-year-old Phan Thi Kim Phuc running from a napalm attack breaks the heart of all who see it.  But it was especially painful for pilot John Plummer who was responsible for the strikes.  He had been assured that no civilians were present in the area before the attack, so it was much to his horror that he discovered the truth; his air strike on the village of Trang Bang in 1972 had killed and maimed many.

In 1996, Plummer was able to meet with the young woman who had suffered so much at his hand.  As they embraced, all he could say was, "I'm sorry; I'm sorry; I'm so sorry' I'm sorry."  Phuc, a former Buddhist who in 1982 came to a saving faith in Christ, could only say, "It's all right; it's all right;  I forgive;  I forgive." *

Forgiveness is mine through faith in Jesus Christ.  But it is not mine to keep.  I must forgive as I have been forgiven: freely and without condition.  The Apostle Paul teaches in Ephesians 4:32 to, "Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you."

Who needs God's forgiveness more than the friend who is wracked with guilt over past wrongs?  Or how about the lonely, sour woman who refuses every offer of kindness?  Maybe the teenage boy with the lousy attitude and disrespectful tone needs to experience forgiveness.  It could be that the husband whom I'm so hard on even when he tries his best could benefit if I let go of my desire to blame him for many things.

God freely forgives me, even though I don't deserve it, so that I can let go of the wrongs being done all around me, placing them into His hands.

Grace

"Amazing Grace"** is one of the most well-known hymns of our time, but it was written by a young man who came to faith in Christ after living his life as an alcoholic juvenile delinquent who was known for his unpredictable and violent behavior.  He soon became a cold and callous slave trader before he learned of the grace of God that was offered to him through Jesus Christ.  

God's willingness to give John Newton a second chance despite his despicable life inspired him to become a pastor and forever preach the message of forgiveness found in the words of his beloved autobiographical song.

Amazing grace!  How sweet the sound.
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

The grace of God offers me everything I don't deserve: life eternal, a personal relationship with a holy God, access to Him as His child, peace that can't be understood. . .What do I do with this grace?  Do I horde it for myself, or pass it on to others?

Who needs God's grace more than the man who has reached the end of his rope and is ready to give up fighting?  I can think of no one more in need of the grace of God than the young woman who feels the need to sell her body in order to make a little extra money.  The drug addict who lives up the street and never takes care of his home or family could use the loving hand of grace extended to him.  

God freely saves me by grace so that I can tell all with whom I come into contact that His grace is amazing.


God freely lavishes His love upon me, forgives me despite my unworthiness and patiently waits for me to respond to His grace.  As one of His children, I have received much so that I can give much:  Freely.

As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can remember who much God has done for me so that I will not be stingy with His gifts.

How do I withhold the forgiveness God gave me?

When do I forget I'm saved by grace, not by my own worthiness?




1001 Quotes, Illustrations, and Humorous Stories by Edward K. Rowell
** Stories Behind the Hymns that Inspire America by Ace Collins


No comments:

Post a Comment