The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, July 12, 2012

I am the LORD Your God

"This third I will bring into the fire;
I will refine them like silver
and test them like gold.
They will call on my name
and I will answer them;
I will say, 'They are my people,'
And they will say, 'The LORD is our God.'"
Zechariah 13:9



He faced a pack of hungry lions in their den.
Another lost his wealth and his family all in one day.
His faith earned him death by stoning.
One man faced ridicule and mockery for 120 years because of his obedience to God's calling.
Still others face pain and suffering due to health issues.
Many suffer death and loss.
Did someone say following Jesus was easy?

I have heard it said that if we would only tap into the power of Jesus, we would be delivered from all pain and suffering.  The truth is that I won't experience that kind of bliss this side of heaven.  John's Revelation revealed that, "There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." (Revelation 21:4)  Until the new heaven and the new earth is created, however, I am stuck with life in a broken, fallen world.  

But those of us who follow Jesus do not suffer in vain.  God does not protect us from the fire of trial and tribulation.  Rather, He uses it to bring about His purposes.  I can trust Him that, "In all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."  (Romans 8:28)

Purification

When a silversmith refines silver he holds it to the hottest part of the fire, attentively watching it lest it be destroyed.  The blistering flames burn away all the impurities, leaving pure silver.  He knows when the process is finished when he can see his own reflection in the precious metal.

God is our refiner.  Malachi 3:3 says, "He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver."  The LORD holds me to the hottest part of the fire, guiding me through unbearable circumstances that bring pain and suffering.  His loving eyes, however, never leave me lest I be destroyed.   

As I go through the difficulties of life, impurities of sin like selfishness, pride, lust, jealousy, hatred and envy are burned away leaving a more pure form which reflects the character of my Maker.  Others notice more love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control as they perceive God's Spirit mirrored in the parts which have gone through the fire.

This means when I face health issues lining up like so many soldiers in formation, I can trust my Refiner to be using the pain and suffering in a way that will glorify Him.  Or when I lose my job, my life savings or my family, I can rest in the knowledge that God will use it as a hot, cleansing fire.  If nothing in my life seems to be going the way I had hoped, the thought that with struggle comes godliness can help to keep me pressing forward toward the prize.

Following Jesus does not mean life will be filled with only pleasurable and enjoyable things, but it does mean that the hard things will be expertly used by our loving and gracious Refiner.

Testing

I remember watching old westerns and seeing someone pay off a debt with a gold coin of unknown value.  The recipient would then bite down on the coin, knowing that if he could leave marks, it must be the real thing. 

While my dentist may not approve of this method of testing, it is a fairly reliable way to find out if an object is made from pure gold.  In fact, testing is necessary to determine whether gold is real and of what purity it is.  Several methods can be used including rubbing it across porcelain tile, holding it near a magnet, dropping acid on it or the aforementioned hardness test. Whichever method is used, testing is necessary to discover it's character.

In the same way, God tests me like gold.  He takes me on test runs to give me a chance to try out my faith.  As Peter said, "you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials.  These have come so that your faith--of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire--may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed."  (1 Peter 1:6b-7)

I can say that I have faith in God, but until I go through hard times I won't know whether or not that faith is real.  It's kind of like chairs.  Chairs are tested extensively and the chair industry has actually set standards to address issues such as the strength, durability, stability and safety of the furniture.  Even though I didn't know chairs were put through the kinds of hardships and ordeals a seat might receive in regular use, I am glad to know that I can trust them when I go to place my full weight in one.  There's nothing worse than sitting in a chair that fails!

Before God can trust me with big assignments, I must pass the little tests He sends my way.  If I can handle the little bit of money He provides for me, it might be His plan to trust me with more. If I show myself to be faithful to His calling in a small assignment, He could have bigger things in mind.  If I am able to trust Him to fight my battles for me when faced with a minor dispute, maybe He'll try me out in a larger battle.

Following Jesus means I'll be trusted to do the big things once my faith has been tested in the small things.

Proper Perspective

There is so much to fear in this world: terrorist attacks, financial ruin, health failure, war, and random acts of violence.  I also am afraid of failure, of looking like a fool, of being left all alone in the world or of revealing my true self.  There is a lot to fear.

God reminds me in Isaiah 43 that I have nothing to fear because He has chosen me and I belong to Him.  He is the LORD my God!  Take a moment to meditate on the words of this beautiful message set to music by Hillsong.  


Even though I mess up more times than I can count, I belong to a loving, gracious and merciful God who will not turn away from me.  I have nothing to fear because He has my back. Because of the blood of Jesus, my transgressions are remembered no more.  Then I can claim these words of God told through the prophet Zechariah for myself:  "I will strengthen the house of Judah and save the house of Joseph.  I will restore them because I have compassion on them.  They will be as though I had not rejected them, for I am the LORD their God and I will answer them." (Zechariah 10:6)

Remembering who I am in Christ, a child of God, will help me to put things in the proper perspective.  He is the Lord my God. . . and I have nothing to fear!

Following Jesus doesn't mean I'll be shielded from terrifying situations, but as His child I need not fear.


As Erma Bombeck is famously credited with saying, "If life is a bowlful of cherries, what am I doing in the pits?"   Living my life for Jesus is not all roses and sunshine.  I must expect difficulties as they are used to refine me, test my faith and help put things in proper perspective, because I belong to God, the maker of heaven and earth!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can remember how God uses difficult times.

How do I focus more on the fire instead of keeping my eyes on the Refiner?

When am I so afraid that I lose sight of the LORD?  

No comments:

Post a Comment