The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, July 13, 2012

Rebellion of Dishonor

"'A son honors his father,
and a servant his master.
If I am a father, 
where is the honor due me?
If I am a master,
where is the respect due me?' 
says the LORD Almighty."


He read the letter in a steady, clear voice, telling of his love and respect for the father he never met, the daddy who died saving others in New York's World Trade Center after the terrorist attack of September 11th, 2001.

"I think its is really cool that you were such a brave firefighter and that you died saving lots of people's lives.  I feel so proud of you.  As I get older, everyone says I walk like you, run like you, and have your crazy sense of humor too.  I play flag football in the same league as you, and in the same position as you, quarterback.  In baseball, I pitch, just like you did.  I really like it when people compare me to you."  Patrick Lyons honors and respects his father in the way he lives his life, in how he and his mother keep his memory alive in such a positive light and in how he strives to live in a way that reflects his father's image.

Patrick may only be ten years old, but he understands something many of us just don't get.  Honor and respect is more than just the words that come out of my mouth.  I can call God my Father, say that Jesus is my Lord and Master, but where's the proof?  I need something concrete and tangible to back up my claim.  

First

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'm pretty selfish.  When we bake cookies or buy doughnuts, I want to pick out the best for me.  It's hard for me to set aside my own cravings and wants in order to think first of my husband and daughters.  Everything inside of me cries out to take the cookies with the most chocolate chips or the biggest pastry and save it for myself.  I guess it's just my self-centered human sin-nature.

I can't, however, take this same kind of attitude when it comes to God.  As the Creator of all things and Lord of heaven and earth, He desires the first pick, the best quality and the most excellent of all that I have to offer.  This applies to my time, money, talents, and my heart.  If I take the best for me and only give Him my leftovers, what does that say about His place in my life?

We all know spending time with God is important.  If I am going to respect and honor Him with my time, I need to choose the part of my day when I am at my best to talk to Him, study His Word and listen to what He has to say.  Fitting Him in between appointments and play dates only sends the message that He comes after all my other priorities.  

Another area of struggle is in tithing.  I have heard all kinds of messages regarding how much we should give, ranging from starting with what I can afford to letting my heart be my guide.  God, however is clear: "Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me. But you ask, 'How do we rob you?'  In tithes and offerings.  You are under a curse--the whole nation of you--because you are robbing me.  Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house." (Malachi 3:8-9)

The word "tithe" literally means, tenth.  If I want to give my best to the Lord, I will take out the first 10% of any money I receive.  It's all He asks of me, and its not up for negotiation.  Either I am obedient to His command to tithe, or I am rebellious.  

As hard as it may be for me to give the best of my time and money to God, the most difficult thing may be to give Him my whole heart.  To be devoted to God above all other people, things, activities, passions is not easy. . . but it is possible.  Oswald Chambers pens these words about devotion.  "It must be God first, God second, and God third, until the life is faced steadily with God and no one else is of any account whatever."

If I am to honor my Father, my first and best must be dedicated to Him.

Heed

A friend of mine keeps breaking the same ankle over and over again.  It is frustrating to be bound to a cast then she'd rather be out weeding the garden, hiking a trail or riding her bike  

She discovered the trouble comes when she's not paying attention while walking.  The strength in her joints as well as her eyesight has deteriorated enough that she must completely concentrate on where she places each footstep in order to avoid small bumps and crevices that may cause her to twist her ankle. Walking has now become an activity that requires a great deal of effort and awareness.

In a similar way, It is easy for me to take my walk with Jesus for granted.  I start cruising, continuing in my usual ways, assuming everything is okay.  Suddenly, I find myself in a place where I never intended to visit.  I'm faced with new temptations and my attitude is off.  The joy is gone and my heart is filled with turmoil.  What happened?

I wasn't paying attention to where I was going and I got off-track.  I stopped following Jesus and instead began coasting along, failing to heed His promptings and the guideposts He erected.  He sent people to give me messages but I didn't notice because I stopped looking for Him in all my ways.  He impelled me to read certain passages in His Word, but my mind was elsewhere and I didn't recognize the meaning.  In short, I lost my focus.

If I am to honor my Father, I need to take my relationship with Him seriously and pay careful attention to Him.

Action

Ross Perot, successful businessman and determined presidential candidate, says, "Talk is cheap.  Words are plentiful.  Deeds are precious."  While his campaign platform may be controversial, he does have a point.  Anyone can talk the talk,  but it takes effort and resolve to walk the walk.

James gave a similar message, though not quite as bluntly.  He says, "don't just listen to God's word.  You must do what it says.  Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves."  (James 1:22 NLT)  Action speaks much louder than mere words.

Loving my enemies is a nice concept to read about, but Jesus enabled me to put it into action, intentionally showing compassion to those who file a lawsuit against me or who attempt to run me off the road while I'm driving.  

It's all well and good to study the scripture concerning forgiveness, but until I let go of the hurt and pain someone caused me and place them into the hands of Jesus it will never mean anything to me.

Reading about being ready to give the reason for the hope I have makes me feel inspired, but unless I speak up when God opens a door to share the gospel, it really didn't make an impact on my life.

Doing is the hardest part of learning, but it can't just be an outward action.  It also must come out of a sincere desire to please God.  It's easy to do things for the wrong reasons.   Sometimes I want the recognition that will help to build my self-esteem.  Other times I want to prove to those who seem to despise me that I'm better than they think I am.  Then there are the times when it just feels good to do something good to help someone else.  

No matter what the reason, if I don't act with the intention of obeying God and pleasing Him and Him alone, it is wrong. As Jesus taught, "Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them.  If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven."  (Matthew 6:1)

If I am to honor my Father, I need to obey His Word with a willing and clean heart.

Honoring God with my life does not come naturally.  In fact, it is all too easy for me to give Him my leftovers, lose focus and fail to act.  But if I do desire to lift His name on high and give Him a good name in the way I live my life,  I must give Him my best, pay careful attention to Him and to do what He says.  Then when I call Him "Father" and "Master,"  there will be something to back up the title I use and I will cease to commit rebellion by dishonoring Him with my empty words.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can keep focused on Him and what He's telling me.

How do I get off-track?

When do I sound pretty good but my actions send a different message?

No comments:

Post a Comment