The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Heavenly Anticipation

"Jesus turned and said to Peter,
'Get behind me, Satan!
You are a stumbling block to me;
you do not have in mind the things of God, 
but the things of men.'"
Matthew 16:23



The time for revealing the true purpose for His presence had come.  Gone were the days of basic teachings, straight-forward healings and simple miracles.  Today was the time for mind-blowing truths, reality-bending certainties, and heart-rending purposes.  

Peter, however, would have nothing of this idea of his beloved Friend, Teacher and Savior suffering and dying.  Peter loved Jesus and was hopelessly devoted to Him; he could never stand to see Him hurt and in anguish.  

Then the words came harsh and painful, the sounds reverberating in his mind as he tried to come to grips with this new message.   Stumbling block;  Satan;  things of God;  things of men. I thought we were on the same team.  I thought He knew I loved Him more than life itself.

Peter was about to learn a lesson of the difference between God's Kingdom and fleshly empires.  They are polar opposites from one another and no man can focus on both; a choice must be made.  Either my mind is concentrated on the things of God, or it's directed at the things of man.

Saving Life

I was a lifeguard for a short period of time in my late teens.  As I took my post at the water park where I worked, my mind was always shuffling through different scenarios that could happen and how I would respond.  As I watched park-goers float down the river ride, I'd look out for tell-tale signs that someone was in trouble.  I couldn't afford to let my mind wander.

In a similar way, possessing a mind that is focused on the things of man means I'm constantly thinking about my own life.  How can I get ahead?  How can I stay safe?  How can I get my name out there?  How can I build a comfortable life?  How can I obtain all the goodies I need to live the life I want to live?

Having a mind that's honed in on self is very in-the-present and temporally focused.  Even if I am following Jesus and desiring to live my life for Him, I am in danger of being concerned mainly about myself.  I want to build my character, become more holy and godly, be used by God in a powerful way, enjoy purpose and meaning for my life, and lead as many people as possible to Christ.

While these don't seem like wrong or ungodly desires, the motivation for these goals could be selfish.  I must ask myself, am I doing this to please God and further His Kingdom, or am I mostly concerned with looking good or improving my image?  Do I want recognition, or am I comfortable with no human ever knowing what I've done?   Am I trying to make my life more meaningful and build a legacy, or am I solely concerned with God's legacy?

Jesus said that, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me."  (Matthew 16:24)  I can't even get to the point of following Jesus until I can deny myself, let go of my own agenda and stop trying to live for me.

If my mind is on the things of men I will mainly be focused on how I can save my life.


Losing Life

When my daughters were younger, we saved for a trip to Disneyland.  The kids were old enough to understand the concept of delayed gratification.  Our family had to tighten our belts which meant doing without some recreation and extras like movies and eating out.  In order to console ourselves, we would encourage each other with the thought that a wonderful trip to a magical place was right around the corner.  Before long, we'd be enjoying the time of our lives.  The girls, too, saved money from their allowance.  When the candy or toys lured them in, the anticipation of the upcoming vacation would inspire them to put their money back in their pockets.

Planning, saving up and anticipating for a vacation can help a family get through lean times.  Likewise, as a believer in Jesus Christ, I have the hope of heaven to spur me on.  With my eternal home and God's kingdom always on my mind, I will make different decisions.  

Knowing that I'll have riches beyond compare, money will cease to be a motivating factor.  

Keeping in mind that my body will be perfect in my heavenly home, I'll be less driven to expect perfection from my earthly form and will more easily accept it's frailties.

As my mind focuses on God's kingdom, I'll be less concerned about my own success and more about God's glory.

With Jesus and His best interest on my mind, I'll more readily accept poor treatment instead of being ready to defend myself.

Maintaining a God-focus means I'll be willing to withstand any conditions,  as long as God's Kingdom benefits.  In order to discern whether my attitude is like that of Christ Jesus, though, I'll have to do only what God is personally calling me to do, not acting out of selfish ambition, a desire to improve my reputation or out of obligation.  Instead, every decision will be an act of love for my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

If my mind is on the things of God, I will be mainly focused on how I can lose my life for Christ.  


As I live my life in this temporary home, I can either put my efforts into building up treasures here, or saving up for later.  One has me focused on self-preservation, self-promotion, personal success and my own comfort now.  The other keeps me honed in on offering myself as a living sacrifice, kingdom promotion, making myself less and Jesus more, and on all the good that is to come in my eternal home.  

Choosing the latter means I'll look forward with anticipation to the time when, "the Son of Man is going to come in his Father's glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what he has done."  (Matthew 16:27)



As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can keep my mind focused on God and all the good He is doing around me.

When do I pay more attention to my own rights instead of on God's sovereign plan?

How is my vision too short-sighted, only focusing on the temporary here on earth?  


No comments:

Post a Comment