The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Wisdom is not the Answer

"I said to myself, 
'Look, I have increased in wisdom more than anyone
who has ruled over Jerusalem before me;
I have experienced much of wisdom and knowledge.'
Then I applied myself to the understanding of wisdom,
and also of madness and folly,
but I learned that this, too, is a chasing after the wind.
For with much wisdom comes much sorrow;
the more knowledge, the more grief."
Ecclesiastes 1:16-18



Humans are so busy learning new things and seeking greater understanding of the world and everything in it, but what good does it do?  How does it relieve suffering or deliver meaning?  Does knowledge have eternal significance or make an everlasting impact?  The answer is "No."  In a lot of ways we are wasting our time because the more we know, the more we realize our lack, our deficiency, our utter hopelessness to save ourselves from insignificance.

So, what is the answer?  Jesus.

Understanding.  I find it difficult to have deep conversations with intellectuals who only want to discuss what they can quantify, prove, or sense.  Many look down on me for my faith in a God they cannot see, refusing to acknowledge even the possibility that there is Someone greater than they.  In their arrogance and at their own peril they reason that if they can't understand it, then it can't exist.  What a superficial and hopeless existence.

There is more to life than what we can touch, see, hear, smell and taste.  If I only pursue knowledge of physical things which are here today and gone tomorrow while completely ignoring spiritual truths which last forever, I am limiting myself to that which is temporary.  If I never recognize my Maker who set a perfect standard which I constantly miss, I will never see my need for rescue from the punishment my shortfalls deserve.  If I spend my life limiting myself to what I can comprehend and what I can sense, when I get to the end of this life and stand before a holy and just God, not only will He judge me according to my own sin, condemning me to an eternity of punishment, but I will have nothing to show for all my effort to understand.  Seeking knowledge and insight will not save me from the inevitable.  Only faith in the blood of Jesus can do that (Hebrews 9:11-15).

A life spent trying to gain insight into this world is a life wasted and an eternity doomed.

 Abundance.  There is an emptiness apart from Christ.  Humans have a desire for meaning, for fulfillment, for purpose.  I can search for the reason for my existence by throwing myself headlong into an important career, or giving my all to a vital cause, or pursuing deep connection with those I love, but still there is something missing.  No matter how hard I try, I will never find what my heart truly desires.

It's not until I see my own depravity, my brokenness, my lack that I will understand my need.  There is nothing in this world that can fill the void left by my estrangement from God due to my sin.  As I see how far I fall short from God's expectation for me as His image bearer, understanding the gulf that exists between Him and me, I see the value in what Jesus died to offer:  Forgiveness from the One who set the standard I fail to reach and restoration of the bond between Him and me (Romans 3:21-24).  This is the abundant life Jesus came to deliver to me by faith (John 10:10b)

A life spent trying to fill the void inside apart from Jesus is an empty and pointless life.

Purpose.  Why am I here?  Every human asks this question in one way or another.  Some look to religion to find the answers, finding a certain meaning in the rituals and fellowship.  Others turn to science, thinking if they can understand the "how" they will understand the "why".  A few use reasoning powers to conclude there is no purpose, life came about spontaneously and completely by accident so there is no ultimate reason for our existence.

No matter how I try to answer the question of my purpose, I come up empty apart from Jesus.  In Christ, I find my purpose as I learn I was made on purpose for a purpose (Ephesians 2:10).  Not only is there a design for all of creation, but I am placed right where I am to shine His light in the darkness around me (Matthew 5:14-16).  Knowing He made me for a specific reason gives me a feeling of worth and value.  I am intrinsically valuable to the One who made me (Psalm 139:13-16).  Therefore, my life takes on a new-found importance as I live for His glory instead of my own (Colossians 3:17).

A life spent looking for my purpose apart from Christ is an exercise in futility.


Wisdom in and of itself cannot save me.  It is powerless to rescue me from eternal condemnation, give me a rich life, nor reveal my purpose.  Only Jesus can fulfill such missions, and as I give my life to Him by faith, I'll find a new meaning that will lead to the rich and abundant life for which I've always longed.  Wisdom is not the answer, Jesus is!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to look to Him to find the answers I need.

When do I look in the wrong places to find the answers I seek?

How am I wasting my time on temporary fixes instead of the permanent solution that is in Christ?  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment