The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

God Mixes It Up

"Consider what God has done:
Who can straighten
what He has made crooked?
When times are good, be happy;
but when times are bad, consider this:
God has made the one
as well as the other.
Therefore, no one can discover
anything about their future."
Ecclesiastes 7:13-14



There are so many plans I could make and attempt to carry out in order to give me the life I want.  I recently read about a high school graduate who has his life planned out until he was 43 at which time he believes he will become President of the United States.  While this culture applauds such confidence and ambition, (evidenced by the fact that his story was printed on the front page of the local paper) is it a godly approach to life?  Can any of us really predict the future?  

Only God knows for certain.  Consequently, how should we live?

Control.  My grandmother did it before me and I have inherited her habit.  We share an affinity for weather reports.  While I don't record each day's conditions like she did, I am fascinated by forecasts.  A day is just not complete until I see what the weatherman thinks is headed our way for the coming hours.  The one thing I have noticed is that no one can predict the weather with 100% accuracy. I chalk this up to the sovereignty of God.

In the same way that rain can come on the day of the picnic even though sun is forecast, my own plans can be messed up by an unforeseen event.  Whether it is sickness, an accident, a natural disaster or some other crisis, God could allow hardship and suffering into my life at any time.  As a child of the King, I can be assured that whatever He approves of for my life will test my faith and grow my character (James 1:2, 1 Peter 1:6-7Romans 5:3-5).  It all is part of His glorious design that will bring about His best for me while pointing others to Him (Romans 8:28).

As I live my life, peace will come when I rest in the truth of God's sovereignty: He controls my future.

Formula.  "God will give you a good life because you are taking care of children."  My Muslim friend confidently proclaimed this belief to me when my family ran a free afterschool program in our neighborhood.  Her faith taught her that good deeds produces a comfortable, carefree life and that Allah, her god, would reward endeavors performed with a pure heart by shielding her from hardship. 

The One True God does not follow this kind of mindset.  In fact, if I want to live on Easy Street, I had probably better avoid following Jesus (John 15:18-25, Malachi 3:3, John 16:33).  The blessings of God do not always translate into worldly or physical blessings.  Rather, the reward often comes later, after this life is over when I will enter into the presence of God by faith in Jesus (Matthew 5:12, Hebrews 10:35).  If I'm looking for the good life now, I may be disappointed.  If I'm hoping for all that He promises me in eternity,however, I will not be let down.

As I live my life, I'll learn to cope with hardship when I realize the struggles are not necessarily a result of my failures, but often a part of living a life in relationship with Jesus.

Blind.  After I go through a hard thing like a crisis or difficulty that brings pain and suffering, I often feel a bit gun shy, wondering what this present day will bring.  As I consider the hardship I just went through, I think it would be nice to know what's coming down the pike so I could brace myself.  In reality, though, such knowledge would be too much for me to bear.

Thankfully, God knows it is better for His image-bearers to live life blind to the future.  In His wisdom, He only reveals what I need to know at the time that is necessary so as not to overwhelm my frail being with unnecessary heartache.  Therefore, it is vital that I trust Him, realizing if He is wise enough to guard me from knowing too much about what is to come, He is also wise enough to know how to get me through tomorrow's untold sorrows. In fact, I can rest in the fact that He is already there.  His grace is all I need to withstand any heartache; upon this truth I can stake my life (2 Corinthians 12:9, Philippians 4:12-13).

As I live my life, I can rest in the knowledge that it's enough that God knows what is coming my way, and I can trust that He will get me through tomorrow's unknown.


I can make my plans but only God holds the blueprint for my life.  Therefore, I'd be wise to acknowledge that He is in control, there is no formula to living a stress-free life, and that living blind to the future is God's best for me.  While I'd love to have my life all mapped out so I know what to expect, I've found that God mixes it up.  What an adventure life with Jesus is!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to let Him control my tomorrow.

When do I attempt to be the master of my own destiny?

How am I frustrated with my inability to control my days? 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment