The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, June 15, 2015

Speak Up

"Whoever says to the guilty,
'You are innocent,'
will be cursed by peoples and denounced by nations.
But it will go well with those who convict the guilty,
and rich blessing will come on them."
Proverbs 24:24-25



Our nation is headed in the wrong way, we can all agree on that.  But as believers in Jesus Christ who keep in step with His Spirit, we are called to love not judge, right?  Being mindful of the log in our own eye and all that (Matthew 7:3-5)?  

Certainly we are not to judge our brothers' and sisters' personal faith walk as long as it lines up with Scripture, but the world?  Yes, it is our job to speak up.  Otherwise, if we stay silent, its the same as agreeing with the wickedness being disguised as good.

Salt Preserves.  Before the time of refrigeration, salt was commonly used as a preservative.  To protect meat against bacteria, mold and spoilage, for instance, it was heavily salted before storing, drawing out the water which increased it's shelf life.  As one whose been designated as the salt of the earth, it is my role as a "little Christ" to preserve godly, biblical morals and values in a culture using the wisdom of man to decide what is considered as "good" (Matthew 5:13).  Since we know how easily humans are led astray, and how quickly we fall into wrong thinking, it takes an immovable standard set by an unchanging God to keep us straight.  Otherwise, when we rely on our own understanding, we compromise every time.

As I hear the arguments of those who are perishing, justifying wickedness right and left, it is my job to hold up the holy ruler of God's standard which clearly shows how far we've fallen.  One doesn't need to even believe God exists to agree that His moral law is good, but if I say nothing, I know that those who deny His existence will simply fall back on their own sense of right and wrong.  And man's standard is usually self-serving in some way and far inferior in every.  In addition, holding up the Light of Truth is an effective means to highlight the need for Christ, and can be an opening through which to share the Gospel with those who need it so desperately.

As the salt of the earth, I am called to preserve godly values as well as hold up God's statutes as society's moral compass.

Salt Enhances.  Salt and pepper shakers have long been included on the dinner table for good reason.  While it is true that I can develop a taste for salt, when used sparingly it actually enhances the flavor of food.  It does this by suppressing the bitter taste perception as well as helping certain food molecules be released in the air which helps the aroma of food, thus improving our sensitivity to taste.  

In the same way I, as salt of the earth, am meant to improve society, making what is good even better.  I bring the Jesus culture of love, peace, forgiveness, kindness and the like into this dark world.  Instead of keeping all the good fruit to myself, I am meant to make the lives of those who are perishing better, creating an impact on the civilization in which I live just by living authentically among them.  By interacting with the lost so they can see my peculiar character, I am introducing Jesus to many who may never see Him any other way (1 Peter 2:9). And in so doing I glorify the God who called me out of the darkness into His light.

As the salt of the earth, I am called to enhance the society in which I live, to the glory of God.

Salt is distinct.  Nothing else compares to salt;  it has a distinctive taste and unique qualities.  While substitutes have been developed, nothing can take the place of salt.  It's the same with me as a follower of Christ.  I am in the world but not of it and am called to resist being influenced by it's values and way of thinking (Romans 12:2,John 17:16) .  Therefore, I stick out like a sore thumb.  While most people are headed one way, I take the opposite path.  When almost everyone agrees with popular mindsets, I have a different take.  Even though it makes me seem irrelevant or out of touch, my tastes in entertainment are far different than the norm.

Nothing can take the place of a Christian living out his or her faith in the midst of the darkness, making decisions based on God's leading, choosing what will most honor God in day-to-day living, allowing the Holy Spirit to guide and liberally spread His love like so much balm on an open wound.  While I could try to do what seems right in the way I conduct business, it is better to let the indwelling Spirit move my hands and feet, resulting in the pouring out of His living water on a parched land.  Nothing can compare to the work of God through a wholly submitted people.

As the salt of the earth, I am called to be different than the world, distinct and influential as I let God have His way in my life.


While I can see how far we've sunk as a people group, I am not without hope, and I am not doomed to watch us crash and burn.  As the salt of the earth, I've been placed here to preserve God's values and statutes in a world that knows no better, to enhance the flavor of society, and to live distinctly so that I don't blend in with the lost.  In these ways, I make the world a better place.  Therefore, I shouldn't be surprised if my position as a child of God requires me to break my silence and speak up lest I become part of the problem.


As I start this day it is my prayer that I can stop trying to blend in and let God use me to change society for the better.

How do I deny my purpose as a preservative of godly values and morals?

When am I afraid of speaking up, fearing the backlash and ostracization that may come? 

      

No comments:

Post a Comment