The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, June 12, 2015

Resilience

"For though the righteous fall seven times,
they rise again,
but the wicked stumble when calamity strikes."
Proverbs 24:16



When I gave my life to Jesus to do with as He wills, He never promised I wouldn't fall.  Life is hard, that's for sure.  What is it that I can count on as I walk with my Shepherd?

Strength.  By the end of the day, I'm worn out.  I always tell my family that if they want my help, opinion, or guidance, they had better ask me earlier in the day rather than waiting until bedtime because I have nothing left by the time the sun is ready to set.  When my head hits the pillow, I'm a goner.

Humans are weak (1 Corinthians 1:25).  I like to think I'm strong, mentally and physically, that I can do anything I put my mind to, but the reality is that I am limited in my capabilities.  When I only rely on my own strength, I will soon come to the end of it.  But, if I place my hope in God, putting all my confidence in His boundless abilities and unlimited power, I "will find new strength" to rise higher than I dared believe, carry on longer than I thought possible, endure hardships greater than I'd ever choose for myself (Isaiah 40:31).

When I trust in Jesus as my Savior, I find a strength that far surpasses anything I can muster up on my own (Ephesians 6:10).

Hope.  As a human, its easy to want to wallow in self-pity, staying down where I fall.  Life can be so discouraging, especially when I keep encountering difficulty after difficulty.  I may wonder as I flounder around in the muck, Can't I catch a break?  When do I get to experience smooth sailing?  It can be hard to rise up and keep going.

The good news is that in Christ I have every reason to get back up again.  The hope that comes by faith in the promises of God gives me confidence that I don't suffer in vain, that it's all used to work out His best for me so that He gets the glory for all He is doing to conform me into the image of His Son (Romans 8:28-29, Genesis 50:20).  This confidence in what God is doing in my life propels me forward as I remember that He finishes what He has started (Philippians 1:6).  There is also an anticipation of the fruit that will abound through the work of God's Word as I stand on it's firm foundation (Isaiah 55:11).

When I trust in Jesus as my Savior, I have a hope that gives me reason to get back up each time I fall.

Attitude.  This world is negative, cynical and pessimistic.  As a human with sinful flesh, I'm easily drawn to this outlook, homing in on all that is wrong and completely overlooking what is right.  I tend to see the trouble without perceiving the comfort.  I'm good at picking out the evil while overlooking the good.

Thankfully, in Christ I have hope for a new outlook.  As I submit myself to God's will for my life, He works to change the way I think, giving me a different lens through which to see the world (Romans 12:2).  What naturally causes me to despair, seen through God's eyes is an opportunity to experience His grace (Romans 5:20).  What seems like the worst thing that could happen, with a godly attitude is transformed into the best thing as it brings forth perseverance and a stronger faith (Romans 5:3-5, James 1:3).  What looks like a disaster or a crisis, through eyes of faith is seen as another opportunity to trust God and see Him work it out for His glory (Isaiah 43:192 Corinthians 12:9-11).

When I trust in Jesus as my Savior, I am given a new attitude that allows me to see more of Him at work all around me, through every circumstance.


Living for Jesus instead of myself does not promise an easy life.  Instead, it could be said that more troubles come my way as I live counter to the ways of this world.  As I do, though, I can take heart.  For when difficulties knock me off my feet, I am given supernatural strength to get up again, the hope to know there's a reason to rise from where I've been knocked, and an ability to see troubles in a godly light.  This is the kind of resilience that comes by faith in Christ.  This is the kind of resilience that propels me to my feet time and time again.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to rely on His strength instead of my own.

When do I deny my own weaknesses?

How am I looking at my troubles through my own self-centered lenses?     

No comments:

Post a Comment