The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Not Enough

"Will the wild ox consent to being tamed?
Will it spend the night in your stall?
Can you hitch a wild ox to a plow?
Will it plow a field for you?
Given its strength, can you trust it?
Can you leave and trust the ox to do your work?
Can you rely on it to bring home your grain
and deliver it to your threshing floor?"



When I was a child, I loved to watch the Flintstones.  The way this cartoon, Stone-Age family used different creatures to perform household tasks and help make their lives better was creative and humorous.  After all, who has ever seen passengers riding a Pterodactyl like a jet liner, mowed the lawn with a dinosaur that eats the grass as you follow along behind or taken a shower by standing under the spray of a mastodon blowing water through its trunk?  There was nothing like this fun cartoon.

While I may not rely on interesting beasts to perform the functions of appliances, tools and other machines of this modern life like the Flintstones did, I do count on many things found in creation to help me live my life.  As much as I depend upon what is found in this world, especially myself, there is a Creating Force behind each one who is truly responsible for their usefulness.  Therefore, I would be wise to acknowledge God as the One on whom I really depend.

Needs Met.  I work hard to make a living, doing all the things a responsible adult does to take care of my family.  I try to be wise, thinking ahead and planning for the future.  I invest, I buy insurance, I save.  Therefore, I begin to think it's me who has met my own needs.

Unfortunately, I have failed to see that without God's grace, I can't even take a breath let alone perform a task or work a job.  Without Him, I'm lost.  In fact, I can't even trust in Him as my Lord and Savior without the faith that comes from Him (Ephesians 2:8)  Living for Him is only possible through the power He gives me to do what pleases Him (Philippians 2:13).

Therefore, why would I think I'm the source of my provision?  That I'm even capable of meeting my needs?  My ability to work comes from God and only He can provide in such a loving and complete way (Matthew 6:31-33).

What I find in myself is not enough to meet my needs.  It is only my Creator who is fully equipped to provide for me.

Success.  Plans are made.  Hours are dedicated.  Family time is sacrificed.  It takes much effort to climb the corporate ladder.  Once the top is reached, it's easy to think it was my effort, ingenuity and dedication that got me there.  

Unfortunately, I have failed to see that without God's favor, I would not have been given the mind to make the plans, the time to devote to work, or the family there supporting and missing me.  Doors would not open unless God facilitated it, health would not be given apart from God's giving it, opportunity would not come unless God ordained it.  Still, it's so easy to think it was by my clever maneuvering and faithful dedication that I am where I am.  In reality, it's all by God's grace (1 Corinthians 15:10).

What I find in myself is not enough to succeed.  It is only my Creator whose favor gives me any kind of achievement. 

Happiness.  I surround myself with things and people I love.  I busy myself with what I enjoy doing.  I feel happy.  I think this feeling of pleasure and contentment comes because I'm right where I want to be.

Unfortunately, I realize this feeling is fleeting and dependent upon my circumstances.  It is only by delighting myself in the Lord that He gives me what will bring true joy: His presence (Psalm 37:4, Romans 15:13, Isaiah 12:6).  Living in relationship with Him brings true satisfaction and enjoyment.  Everything else I run after will fade in it's ability to satisfy that hole inside of me that only God can fill.

What I find in myself is not enough to bring contentment.  It is only in relationship with my Creator that I will find true happiness.


There is much in the world that I can depend upon.  It's easy to get caught up in the notion that I am the source of my own provision, success and happiness.  When I come to know God through faith in Jesus Christ, however, I realize that I am only what has been created, and the Creator is truly the source of these benefits.  Therefore, I come to the conclusion that what has been made is not enough.  What I really need is the One who made it all.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to look to Him as my only source of happiness.

When do I think it's me who has facilitated my success?

How am I denying God's sovereign power in my life?    


No comments:

Post a Comment