The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, November 20, 2014

How to Become a Fruitful Tree

"Blessed is the one who does not walk 
in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
or sit in the company of mockers,
but whose delight is in the law of the LORD,
and who meditates on his law day and night.
That person is like a tree planted
by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither--
whatever they do prospers."
Psalm 1:1-3



There are many formulas for success in this world, but none as wise as this.

Company.  Mothers everywhere are right:  It matters who my friends are.  If I hang out mostly with godly people who love Jesus, I'll draw closer in my relationship with Him.  If I instead choose to associate mostly with people who live by the flesh and are their own lords, I'll drift away from Jesus (1 Corinthians 15:33).

Even if I'm only exposed to other believers, I usually choose my friends based on what we have in common.  Our church recently held a women's luncheon in which inter-generational relationships were encouraged.  I can learn so much from those who have gone before me and there are things I can teach to those who are coming along behind me.  But it's more than that.

God made us each in His image, yet we are unique in our own special way.  Limiting my relationships only to those who are similar to me, the old birds-of-a-feather syndrome, restricts my exposure to other godly points-of-view and helps me stay right where I am.  Including people from all kinds of backgrounds and experiences, however, challenges me and enriches my life as my spiritual muscles are stretched and my horizons expanded.  For example, some of the most godly, faithful and on-fire-for-the-Lord Christians are young people!  Why should I not seek them out as friends?

I will become a fruitful and healthy tree if I choose my company wisely.

Way.  I must pick a path.  Just because I have accepted the salvation that comes by faith in Jesus Christ doesn't mean I will automatically follow Him down the track that leads to life.  Few find this route because it is secluded and out-of-the-way, unpopular and difficult (Matthew 7:13-14).

It's much easier to stay on the wide road that leads to destruction.  After all, it is quite common and acceptable so it can't be that bad, right?  It's the obvious choice, or so I tell myself.  Until I realize the emptiness of my life as I go after the meaningless things the world holds as valuable, or when my heart aches for the bond with the One for whom I was created, or as I tire of living only for myself.  Then I remember Jesus died to give me something far better (John 10:10).

I will become a fruitful and healthy tree if I choose my path wisely.

Attitude.  Am I a negative-Nelly, or do I see the good things of God all around me?  It's easy to focus on that which is bad about life; there is so much from which to choose!  Still, God is always at work in my life and in the lives of others.  Since He is a good God and everything beneficial comes from Him, I can make a decision to focus on the good, looking for what He is busy doing.

So what is stopping me?  Well, I live in a world that teaches me to think of myself as better than I really am, and my sin nature easily agrees with this mindset.  Therefore, if I don't intentionally remind myself why Jesus had to die for me, I will become just like the world: cynical and sarcastic, sneering at the ridiculousness of others' actions and ridiculing the state of the government, culture, entertainment industry, or whatever.  I actually need no encouragement to become that way for that is my natural state!

Instead of choosing the easy way, the natural way, the contemptuous way, I can undergo an attitude adjustment.  Letting God transform my mind will give me a different perspective where I will see the hurting, perceiving how God is mercifully saving, and realize His abundant grace in little hidden pockets everywhere.  Yes, God really is good all the time!

I will become a fruitful and healthy tree if I choose my attitude wisely.


There are many formulas I can follow to find a certain brand of success, but only one will cultivate me into a healthy, fruitful tree.  In order to become like such a tree, I can choose wisely the company I keep, the path I walk, and the attitude with which I see the world.  In these ways I will grow deep roots near streams of water that can stand firm no matter the storm.  This is the kind of tree I want to become!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can befriend those who will challenge my faith and show me your love on a regular basis.

When do I limit my friendships to those who are just like me?

How am I guilty of harboring an ungodly attitude toward the world around me?    


No comments:

Post a Comment