The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Mindful of Man

"When I look at your heavens,
the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
which you have set in place,
what is man that you are mindful of him,
and the son of man that you care for him?"
Psalm 8:3-4 ESV



It's astounding.  To consider the solar system and how each planet revolves around the sun in it's own orbit, never entering into a collision path or straying too far away from the sun, or too close.  Instead, planet earth stays it's course, maintaining the perfect conditions for human survival.  Similarly, the moon circles around the earth, reflecting the light of the sun in a regular, predictable pattern, giving man a way to track time.  Even the stars, so far away yet constant in their appearance each night, form configurations that have been studied for generations.  What a marvel is our solar system!

To think that the Creator of such wondrous works is also an intimate God who cares for me is enough to blow my mind!  How could such a mighty, powerful God who is in charge of all of His creation ever have the time to put much thought into my formation, or the occasion to think about me, or the care to even consider my needs?  Yet, He does.

Provider.  They flit about, carefree and happy.  One swoops down from the power lines where they congregate, expertly guiding his tiny body through the barbed wire fence. He lights upon the fence post, turning his attention to his buddies as if to say, "How was that?  Let's see you top that!"  As if in response, another bird plunges down at breakneck speed, flying his own route, throwing in a couple of impressive moves before joining the first on the fence.  These little sparrows seemed to be having so much fun!

How can a little bird living out in the wild be so cheery and happy-go-lucky? I wonder.  Then I remember.  "Look at the birds.  They don't plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them." (Matthew 6:26a)  Ah, yes.  I've never seen a worried bird because they rely on their heavenly Father to feed them.  They go about their days confident in the fact that they have a Provider!

Well, so do I.  Verse 26 continues on, "And aren't you far more valuable to him than they are?"  Yes!  I am made in His image (Genesis 1:27).  Do I think my Father is the kind of God who will let me go hungry?  So I must stop doubting and live carefree like the birds who know they have a faithful Provider.

The mighty Creator of all wondrous and awe-inspiring things is perfectly able to provide for my needs.  He is my Provider.

Comforter.  He's probably too busy to waste His precious time on my little concerns.  Sure, my heart is broken over my loss, my circumstances, my pain, but why would He be able to comfort insignificant me when I'm sure He has more important business to which He must attend?

One of God's characteristics is to relate to me as a compassionate Comforter.  He is the "Father of mercies and God of all comfort" (2 Corinthians 1:3 ESV).  He knows how to console my anxious heart, to ease my pain, to cheer me as only a Father can.  When I go through times of suffering, then, I have the distinct privilege of experiencing my Comforter at work.

The mighty Creator of all wondrous and awe-inspiring things is uniquely equipped to comfort me in times of heartache and pain.  He is my Comforter.

Caretaker.  She attended to all his needs, nurturing him back to health in times of sickness, teaching him lessons at every opportunity and cultivating his faith in God.  A mother is the picture of "caretaker" to her child.

Similarly, God is my caretaker who looks after my needs, gently guides me along with a nurturing Spirit, and expertly cultivates my faith like a master gardener.  In His Hands, I am being perfectly fostered into the woman He created me to be.

The mighty Creator of all wondrous and awe-inspiring things is exclusively adept at taking care of me.  He is my Caretaker.


God is mighty and sovereign over all things.  His massive Creation must take all His attention, yet it doesn't.  He is big enough to look over all things while still being mindful of me.  He is my Provider, Comforter and Caretaker.  May I never forget such a God as this!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can always rely on this amazing God!

When do I attempt to muddle through on my own instead of leaning on such a God as this?

How am I guilty of suffering apart from the benefit of my Comforter?

No comments:

Post a Comment