The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Before You Speak

"Should I continue to wait, now that you are silent?
Must I also remain silent?
No, I will say my piece.
I will speak my mind.
For I am full of pent-up words,
and the spirit within me urges me on.l
I am like a cask of wine without a vent,
like a new wineskin ready to burst!
I must speak to find relief,
so let me give my answers."
Job 32:16-20 NLT



I often feel like young Elihu; that I have to get things off my chest.  But is it always wise to speak, or is there something I should keep in mind before spouting off at the mouth (Proverbs 17:28)?

Sensitive.  His voice is so quiet, His Spirit speaking gently to mine.  He's easy to ignore and I often pretend I don't hear the soft promptings.  Don't say anything.  Or sometimes, Not now.  But the words I long to speak seem so wise and helpful; just what my friend needs to hear.  Only God, however, knows the heart and perceives her readiness to accept such a message.  Therefore, listening to His voice is vital.

What would have happened if Philip, one of the believers who were scattered after the killing of Stephen, disregarded the direction of the Lord?  He was told by an angel to travel down the desert road that goes from Jersualem to Gaza.  He obeyed and soon met an Ethiopian eunuch traveling there.  The Holy Spirit prompted him to go to the man and soon he was sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ (Acts 8:26-38).  If Philip had ignored God's promptings to approach the foreign man, he would have missed out on being part of such a sweet and joyous conversion.

God knows what is best for every situation.  He understands what each heart needs to hear.  Only He perceives whether there is willingness to listen or not.  Consequently, I'd be wise to let Him direct my paths, seeking His will in each and every situation instead of merely doing what seems right to me.

Instead of just saying what I feel needs to be said, I would be wise to be sensitive to His leading.

Who Gets the Glory?  Often, I want to say something because I desire the positive affirmation that comes from giving good advice.  If I'm honest with myself, even though I often deny it, I'm all about getting at least a little credit for spouting words of wisdom.  Therefore, with such a self-seeking sin nature, I must be careful, asking myself "Who will get the glory if I speak?"

If my heart is humble, it won't matter if no one knows from where the advice, counsel or support came, as long as God gets the glory.  Whether or not anyone acknowledges me will not make a difference, as long as His name is lifted high.  Even if no one ever realizes it was I who spoke the necessary message, it will be fine with me providing that much is made of God.

If my heart is feeling insecure, hungry for some positive affirmation, however, I may have an ulterior motive for speaking up.  It could be that I want a bit of the attention that comes from offering a good suggestion.  Or I could want at least a few accolades or a pat on the back for being clever enough to give such wise counsel.  Or it may be that I simply feel hungry for the spotlight, soaking in the encouragement that comes from such positive attentions.

Instead of just saying what I feel needs to be said, I must ask myself who will get the glory from the words I speak.

Build Up.  If the words I intend to speak come out of obedience to God's promptings, they will work to build up the faith of others, edifying the Body of Christ.  If, on the other hand, I speak on my own behalf, I'll probably find that I'm tearing others down or not making a difference to their faith walk at all, even if that is not my intention.

I had the bittersweet opportunity a few years back to encourage a woman that was weathering a horrific ordeal.  Her teenage daughter had been abducted from their home.  As she desperately searched for her only child, this single mom sought out encouragement from the Lord.  In response, I began sharing scripture and positive messages via text as God led me.  

One day, I felt like these messages were no longer being received as they once were.  Instead of heeding God's gentle warning, I plunged ahead, continuing the mission that was no longer from God.  Soon, the poor woman asked me to stop, telling me it was all getting to be too much.  Her message cut me to the core as I realized I had gone too far, entering into the territory of hurting rather than helping, all because I ignored the Lord's guidance.

Instead of just saying what I feel needs to be said, I must heed God's guidance so that I will build up those that will hear.


I can think of countless things to say, especially if someone asks for advice.  Before I speak, however, I would be wise to listen to what God is telling me, being sensitive to His leading, to make sure God is the one getting the credit, and that my words will build others up.  Just because I have something to say, doesn't mean it needs to be said.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can be sensitive to God's leading, especially in my speech.

When do I let my zeal drive me to say too much?

How am I guilty of seeking my own glory, even if only a little bit?

No comments:

Post a Comment