The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Foes Cannot Stand

"You have taught the little children
to praise you perfectly.
May their example shame and silence your enemies!"
Psalm 8:2 TLB



"What's the story of Adam and Eve?"
"One time, there was God, and God made Adam out of dust.  And then he put Adam to sleep and made Eve out of a rare rib."

"What's Heaven like?"
"Golden Diamonds."

"What do we learn from the story of Jesus turning water into wine?"
""The more wine we get, the better the wedding is."

"What are the qualities of a woman's ideal man?"
"A man that provides a lot of money, loves horses, will let you have 22 kids, and doesn't put up a fight."

These quotes* from regular children as they answered questions on a popular 90's television show that was based on "Art Linkletter's House Party"  proves that kids really do say the darndest things!  Children usually aren't tainted by bad experiences, have not developed a filter, and are basically pure of heart.  They just say it as they see it.

While it's cute and hilarious to listen to such responses, there is something I can take away from the way a child sees the world that can help me grow closer to Jesus.

Childlike Faith.  I remember my daughters' early years when their days mostly consisted of free-play.  In their innocence, they did not worry about anything except being the first one to get on a swing or that they get to use their favorite toys.  Life was fairly simple then.

As they grew and became more aware of the world around them, fear formed in their hearts as they worried about what might happen to them or their family.  At first, they were completely unaware of any problems existing in our home, country or world.  When they were oblivious to such troubles, they trusted that their needs would always be met, that they were secure in their place in the family, that no outside force would ever penetrate their little domain.  They simply lived out their lives with abandon.

This is what it is like to possess the faith of a child.  Not that I am ignorant of the evils of this world, but that I keep my eyes on the One who is in control, following Him down the path that leads to life (Hebrews 12:2).  As soon as I take my eyes off Jesus, just like Peter did when he walked on water, I sink into a sea of fear and anxiety (Matthew 14:28-31).

I can cultivate childlike faith so that I will trust in Jesus without doubt.

Childlike Praise.  A child does not try to impress or put on airs.  For the most part, young children just tell it like it is.  I'll never forget when a little boy was staring at me as I sat next to him on the floor during a church program.  After several seconds of intense scrutiny, he asked me, "Why do you have a mustache?"

Kids just say what's on their mind and it's the same when its time to give credit where credit is due.  I can take on this same mindset, dropping my desire to impress or woo someone with flowery words, but just focus on giving God all the acclaim for the good that is woven all throughout my life.  

It's easy to become tainted and cynical, assuming the worst and only seeing what is wrong with my life.  If I really look for what God is doing, however, I'll see evidence of His handiwork all around and then I can give praise to Him.

I can cultivate a child's ability to offer pure praise, unsullied by an ulterior motive or cynical attitude.

Childlike Worship.  The older I get, the more childlike I become in my inhibitions.  I care less and less about what people think and more about God and His opinion of me.  It's almost like I'm coming full circle, back into the realm of a child who naturally lives as God created him to exist.

Sin has ruined God's creation and twisted everything He intended for His image-bearers.  He meant for man to walk throughout His creation and see all that was made as an extension of it's Creator.  Instead, it is seen for how it can be used to further man's agenda, or increase our comfort, or better our lives.  Rarely does one acknowledge the One who makes all things possible nor seek to find out what He intended for His creation.

As I give everything I am back to God, dedicating myself to Him as a living sacrifice, I find my every waking moment is an act of worship to Him.  Living the way I was created to live, being the woman I was meant to be, conducting my life as God intended, is the most pleasing form of worship available (Romans 12:1).

I can worship God like a child in the way that I live my life, untainted by sin and worldly passions.


There is no evil in this world that can outshine the faith, praise and worship of a child.  Therefore, when I cultivate such a pure and innocent way of seeing the world around me, I will be able to do the same.  There is no foe that can stand against such faith, can diminish this kind of praise, or who can stop such worship.  To God be the glory!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can see God as a child who depends fully upon her Father.

When do I doubt God's ability to save me or provide for me because my faith is tarnished by doubt?

How do I worship other things besides God and God alone in the way I live my life?




*http://www.buzzfeed.com/leonoraepstein/13-of-lifes-best-questions-answered-by-kids-say-the-darndest 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment