The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Spur One Another On

"Let us hold tightly without wavering
to the hope we affirm,
for God can be trusted to keep his promises.
Let us think of ways to motivate one another
to acts of love and good works.
And let us not neglect our meeting together,
as some people do,
but encourage one another,
especially now that the day of his return is drawing near."
Hebrews 10:23-24 NLT



The daily treatment was grueling, sapping her of all her strength and resolve.  
Maintaining a constant state of readiness while waiting for the resolution sent him into a state of exhaustion.
Loving her unsaved husband day after day while she prayed for his salvation seemed like an exercise in futility.

There are many times in life when my faith wavers, my resolve weakens and I wonder if I can carry on.  Everything I believe to be true begins to fade away, as if it were part of some distant dream.  What used to spur me on now sounds like empty words and false promises.  Will God renew my strength?  (Isaiah 40:31)  Is the Lord the God of planning and provision?  (Jeremiah 29:11, Matthew 6:31-33)  Can God truly change a heart?  (Daniel 3:16-20)

When I'm filled with doubt and fear, forgetting who God is and how He is able to save, I need a reminder.  (Zepheniah 3:17)  Other times, those around me are the ones who could stand to hear a word of truth spoken in love as they struggle in their faith.  We all have moments of weakness.  Thankfully, God has designed His family in such a way that we can hold each other up, urge one another on toward the truth, and fill in the gaps my weaknesses leave behind. (1 Corinthians 12:21-26)

Therefore, let us be committed to one another, looking for ways to embolden each other's faith.  When I see my brother or sister waver in their faith, instead of chastising or shaming them, may I make it my mission to encourage them, using the Word of God to spur them on as I remind them of the truth that has grown dim in their heart.  Likewise, when I enter into a period of drought, feeling the strength of my own faith slipping away, may I make the effort to seek out the company of other believers where my hope can be renewed through prayer and support.  We need each other.

It reminds me of a stand of timber that withstood a sudden storm.  The trees that grew in close proximity to one another were better able to survive the onslaught as they leaned on each other and helped to shield each other from the wind and elements.  Those that stood alone, however, sustained much damage.  

In a world where I am encouraged to go it alone, to bear my own burdens and to suck it up and carry on, God reminds me of the contradictory message found in His word.  He created His family with intention, making each member like a piece of a puzzle that fits perfectly together.  He means for us live in community with one another, spurring each other on to live the life God has called us to live, no matter our circumstances.


As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I can think of ways to give confidence to those who are struggling.

When do I need a boost of confidence?  Do I seek others out or do I keep it to myself?

How am I guilty of trying to go it alone?  

No comments:

Post a Comment