The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Self-Fulfillment?

Today's reading comes from my new book, 52 Days of Grace, available now on Amazon.




Self-Fulfillment?



“One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike.  Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind.  Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord.  Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.   For none of us lives for ourselves alone, and none of us dies for ourselves alone.   If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord.  So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.  For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.
“You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister?  Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat.   It is written:
‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord, ‘every knee will bow before me; every tongue will acknowledge God.’
So then, each of us will give an account of ourselves to God.”  (Romans 14:5-12)

“My life is not my own.”  I can’t count the number of times I disgustingly uttered this phrase under my breath as a mother of triplet daughters and their older sister.  Raising four girls who are within two years of each other was never dull.  In fact, during the early years I had few precious moments to myself, prompting me to utter the above phrase.  As difficult yet rewarding as those years were, God was teaching me through it the truth that we find in today’s passage.  Our life does not belong to us to do with as we please.   In fact, the moment we can let go of the notion of self-fulfillment, the more content and filled with peace we will become.   When we live to fulfill God’s plan for our life, we will feel satisfied and be less inclined to judge the choices others make.  Each of us will stand before God’s judgment seat and answer for our own life; it is not our place to assume to know the choices our brother or sister is making are wrong.  We do not know God’s plan for their lives, only God knows (Jeremiah 29:11). 
Author and lecturer James Hitchcock hit the nail on the head concerning this issue.  He said, “The search for self-fulfillment is endless, and endlessly frustrating.”  If the goal for our life is to never feel a sense of purpose, then we need look no further than our heart’s desire.  But, if our goal is to know that there is a reason for our being, we need to look to God and obediently do His bidding.  “For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”  (Ephesians 2:10)    What is stopping us from doing what God has planned for us?  Fear?  Greed?  Selfishness?  Comfort?  Whatever it is, surrender it to Jesus and begin to live for Him.  We will never feel more fulfilled as when we do what He has prepared for us to do!

Instead of shooting for self-fulfillment,
 aim for God-fulfillment.

How are your life choices based on what will bring you the most contentment or pleasure?

Which areas of your life do you most struggle with submitting to God?

Heavenly Father,
I am often led by my fleshly desires.  Therefore, it is my intention that I let go of my own will and let You have Your way in my life.  I know that once I begin this process, I will experience much peace as I walk in tandem with your Spirit.  I ask for the grace and mercy I need to let go of my own ways and let You rule in my heart.
In Jesus’ Name I pray, 

Amen



If you like what you read, order your own copy today!


No comments:

Post a Comment