The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, May 31, 2012

True Wisdom

"O Ephraim, what more have I to do with idols?
I will answer him and care for him.
I am like a green pine tree;
your fruitfulness comes from me.
Who is wise?  He will realize these things.
Who is discerning?  He will understand them.
The ways of the LORD are right;
the righteous walk in them,
but the rebellious stumble in them."
Hosea 14:8-9


They invested their time in our community.  Many hours were sacrificed in their quest to make our neighborhood pool safe and pleasant for the benefit for all who live here.  They selfishly gave out of a desire to make a difference.  Their reward?  Homeowner's cursed them out.  Some called them racist.  Still others threatened and belittled their efforts.  Finally out of discouragement and frustration, they quit serving; and no one can blame them.  

I can relate to this couple who tried to make their little part of the world a better place.  It's a worthy goal.  The problem is when I try to make a difference in my own strength.  I run into difficulties when I make an effort using my own knowledge.  My engine quickly runs out of steam and I hit the wall of discouragement when I am doing it for the wrong reasons.

The Apostle Paul says that God should be my motivation for everything I do.  "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men." (Colossians 3:23)  If I change the reason why I do the things I do, I won't lose heart as easily.  When my expectation is that a human will appreciate all the hard work I am putting into a project, then I will feel disappointed, unappreciated and dejected when no one notices.  But if I instead expect no recognition except from my Father in heaven, then I will be able to withstand all kinds of mistreatment.

Following God and doing all for Him will never take me down a path that is wrong. Doing things out of obedience to His calling will always succeed in making a difference in God's Kingdom.   If I want true wisdom in how to live my life, I need look no further than Him.

Trust Him

Jesus was falsely accused, unfairly sentenced to death, spat upon, flogged, mocked, made fun of and beaten before He was finally nailed to the cross.  As He withstood this treatment out of obedience to His Father's will, salvation for all mankind was made available to those who trust in Him as their Savior.  But throughout the horrible ordeal, Jesus never stood up for Himself.  He never said a word in His defense.  Even though all power was made available to Him, He trusted His Father and His plan instead of lashing out at his accusers.  

Oswald Chambers said that, "Our Lord trusted no man; yet He was never suspicious, never bitter, never in despair about any man, because He put God first in trust; He trusted absolutely in what God's grace could do for any man.  If I put my trust in human beings first, I will end in despairing of everyone; I will become bitter, because I have insisted on man being what no man ever can be--absolutely right.  Never trust anything but the grace of God in yourself or in anyone else."

I admit that I give way to much credit to my fellow man.  I expect good treatment and a word of encouragement.  Instead, I receive ridicule and opposition.  I think it's reasonable for people to support my efforts, but no one shows up and I end up doing it all myself.  I give, give and give and people just keep taking.  

My problem is not that I'm doing the wrong things, but that I'm not leaving the outcome in God's hands.  He is in charge of the results, my own task is to do as He's asked.  If He wants me to mop the floor, I scrub away.  If someone tracks mud on it's sparkling clean surface 10 minutes later, that is frustrating, but it doesn't undo my obedience. My objective wasn't so much a clean floor as in doing as I'm told.   God is pleased.  

If He puts it on my heart to tutor a child, I plan lessons and carry out the mission.  If the student doesn't put forth the effort or fails to show up, I am not unsuccessful.  I have done my part and God is pleased.

If God opens the door for a business opportunity and I put my all into it, God is pleased with my efforts even if I never see a monetary blessing.  

Trusting God means I do what He says and leave the rest up to Him.  After all, His ways are right so following Him means I can't go wrong!

Willingly Choose

At the end of time when every human being will stand before the judgment seat of God, He informed us that, "Every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God." (Romans 14:11)  I can either wait until that time to bow before my Maker, or I can honor Him by living His way now.  Everyone will acknowledge Him as God and Jesus as Lord; the only variable is time.  Either I do it now under my own volition, or do it then under God's compulsion.

Despite what is popular to believe today, there is such a thing as truth.  God's way is good and right.  As the Creator of this universe, He knows how best to run things.  I, however, only look out for my best interest.  I can't see the big picture so my choices mostly lead to destruction and emptiness.  

I have the option of willingly choosing today to submit my will to His, trusting Him for the outcome of my efforts and opting to walk in righteousness.   Paul instructs us how to do this in a practical way in Ephesians 4:29-32.  He says to only say things to build others up, telling them what they need to hear not what I want to say.  It is also important to sweep my life clean of bitterness, rage and anger, and to stop bringing others down either physically or with my words.  Instead, I can choose to act in a kind and compassionate way, cutting others a break as I remember how much God has forgiven in my life.

When I am under attack and being threatened with a law suit, I can rest in the knowledge that God is in control and He will serve as my Defender.  I can choose to live at peace with my foe.  

When I am feeling anything but loved in my marriage, I can choose to obey God and respect my husband.

When my temptation is to show disgust and loathing for those who treat me cruelly, I can instead decide to love them as God has loved me.    

Living God's way is a choice I can make now for, "He whose walk is blameless and who does what is righteous. . . will never be shaken." (Psalm 15:2 and 5)

Stubbornly Resist

One of my dogs can act pretty stubbornly at times.  If he's afraid of a sprinkler, for instance, he will dig his heels in and refuse to proceed.  The only way to be able to continue on the walk is for me to make a wide berth around the perceived threat.  

This is not uncommon behavior, in fact it's quite prevalent in human beings, especially in the toddler and teenage stages.  Have you ever tried to make a two-year-old child eat something he doesn't like?  He will stubbornly resist.

I can be just as inflexible in my insistence to live my life my way.   I know God wants me to put others needs above my own, but my flesh cries out to satisfy my own desires and strive to reach my selfish goals.  Many times I know I need help, but my pride holds me back from asking.  What will people think?  Other times it feels good to put a mean and nasty person in their place instead of loving them right where they are.

My nature is rebellious toward God and His righteous pathway.  It is easy and natural to fight against His ways.  In order for me to please Him and live a life of peace, however, it is necessary for me to stop digging in my heels and let Him lead.

Stubbornly resisting God is a lifestyle choice that will lead to strife and discord.  


The motivation for living my life can come from many different directions, but true wisdom comes from putting God first and acknowledging Him as the Lord of my life.  This will be evident in the way I trust Him enough to obey without worrying about the outcome, in my choice to willingly follow Him, and in how I let go of my natural tendency to stubbornly resist His ways.  Then I can consider myself to be a wise woman.  


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can strive to obtain this kind of true wisdom.

How do I fail to trust God, instead trying to work toward a certain outcome?

When do I dig in my heels against God's gently prodding?  


1 comment:

  1. I needed that. I have been going through a ruff time and reading this makes me feel better knowing that I don't have to try and use my own strength, I can let God do it!

    ReplyDelete