The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Land Mourns

"There is no faithfulness,
no love,
no acknowledgment of God
in the land."
Hosea 4:1



As Americans, we like to think we live in a kind of "promised land."  People come from all around the world to taste the freedom our country offers.  Like the Puerto Rican immigrants sang in West Side Story, "I want to live in America!" People sneak into this country illegally in order to have a shot at a good life; one that they have no chance of living in their home country.  It does seem to be a promised land.

The problem appears when I assume that God thinks the same way about America.  If I look at my country through the eyes of a Holy and Just God, I come to a different conclusion.  I find that I have turned away from God and toward the gods of Independence, Comfort and Worldly Success.  I witness a serious lack of love for my fellow man.  I see a tendency for man to take credit for all the good things this country enjoys.  

In a nutshell, America is headed away from God.  The US may be a "Super Power" but its lacking the power of God.  America no longer considers herself to be "one nation under God."  We as a people group are moving in a dangerous direction.  As an American believer, I am not exempt from this trend.  I am easily influenced by the culture in which I live so it is important that I pay attention to what is important to God.  

Faithfulness

When Jesus prayed for His Disciples in the Garden of Gethsemane, He also prayed for all those who would believe in Him by hearing their message.  He prayed to His Father that believers would, "be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you.  May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me."  (John 17:21)

Unity in Christ sets believers apart from the rest of the world that cannot get along with each other.  In order for this to be accomplished, though, my flesh must be surrendered to Christ.  I must want His will more than my will.  I must let God have His way in my life.  When believers submit to Jesus as Lord, we act as one.

Oswald Chambers said that since Jesus prayed this prayer, "God will not leave us alone until we are one with Him. . ."  It is vital to our existence as people of God that He be the head of us. When I turn to other things as lord of my life, He no longer is my Lord.  I am acting unfaithfully.  I am stealing His glory.  I am committing adultery.  


God sets my example; "the faithfulness of the LORD endures forever."  (Psalm 117:2)  He always does what He says He will do, He always lives up to His promises, on Him I can always rely.  This is the standard He has set.  


It is not natural for me to stick with something and be true to my word.  I may mean well when I say I will be there for someone, but then life happens, distractions rise up and tragedy hits.  Suddenly there are more important things to which I must attend and the promise falls by the wayside.


Faithfulness is not a trait I can obtain through sheer effort and determination.  Rather, it is a natural extension of following Jesus.  Faithfulness comes from God and when I am connected to Him I will see evidence of it in my life. 


One of the best litmus tests of my faithfulness to God is in how I spend the time He has given me.  As author John Boykin said, "Time is life--nothing more, nothing less.  The way you spend your hours and your days is the way you spend your life."  As a child of God who was made to glorify Him with my life, my use of time must be wise and intentional.  I show my unfaithfulness to God when I fritter my time away on mindless television, spend endless hours on social media or simply do the things that please myself.  


Faithfulness to God means I spend my time seeking Him, His kingdom and His righteousness, for His glory.


Love

Love is very important to God.  He said, "If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy but don't love, I'm nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate.  If I speak God's Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, "Jump," and it jumps, but I don't love, I'm nothing.  If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don't love, I've gotten nowhere.  So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love."  (1 Corinthians 13:1-7 MSG)

Even if I'm like Mother Teresa in my words, actions and beliefs, but am not patient and kind with others, nothing else I do matters.  If I remember the wrongs done to me, easily pop a gasket or secretly enjoy seeing the suffering of those who hurt, it doesn't matter what I do for God.  If I write a child off, thinking there is not hope so why should I keep trying to help, any amount of effort I make to please God will be null and void.  

Love is what is important to God.  If I want to know what love looks like, I need look no further than God for He is love.

"Love never gives up.  Love cares more for others than for self.  Love doesn't want what it doesn't have.  Love doesn't strut, doesn't have a swelled head, doesn't force itself on others, isn't always 'me first,' doesn't fly off the handle, doesn't keep score of the sins of others, doesn't revel when others grovel, takes pleasure in the flowering of truth, puts up with anything, trusts God always, always looks for the best, never looks back, but keeps going to the end.  Love never dies."  (1Corinthians 13:4-8 MSG)

I can't love this way on my own.    Instead, I am only able to love this way because God first loved me.  In doing so, He bathed me in His love, placing His Spirit of love inside of me so I can pass that love on to others; if only I will let go of my own natural desires and inclinations.

When I am fed up with my husband and tempted to fly off the handle, love hangs in there, sticking to the commitment I made to him before God.  During the times when I am hurt and my mind acts like a Rolodex of wrongs, love cuts the offender a break and doesn't try to retaliate.  If I feel discontent with my life as I compare it to that of my friends', love directs my attention to all the good I have and to what I can look forward.    

If I am to stay true to God I must let His love flow through me, softening hearts and changing lives.

Acknowledgment

I was walking down the street, doing my daily exercise when a young woman approached from the other direction.  When I could see the whites of her eyes I said, "Good Morning."  The woman completely ignored me and proceeded to pass right by with nary a word or even a look.    Maybe she was listening to music or it could be that she suffered from hearing problems.  Whatever the case may be, it made me angry.  She did not even acknowledge my existence!  

Everyone wants to be acknowledged.  It is said that the best way to make someone feel welcomed is to look into their eyes and greet them using their name.  This method satisfies our need for recognition.  We feel like we're valued and important.

In a similar way, God desires for me to pay attention to Him.  Instead, many days I go for hours without even thinking about Him.  I'm driving into the busy parking lot, searching for an empty spot when I absent-mindedly ask God to provide a place to park.  Suddenly a spot opens up.  Instinctively I say, "Never mind, God.  There's one right there."  

It's easy to think things happen by chance, as a result of my hard work or because of the generosity of someone else.  If I want to please God, I need to make an effort to include Him in all parts of my life and give Him the credit for all the good things.  This effort will not go unnoticed.  As the Proverb goes, "In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight."  (Proverbs 3:6)

Things just go better when I recognize God's presence in every part of my life.  After all, He can't help me if I'm ignoring Him!

Acknowledging God takes effort as I give Him the center of my attention every moment of the day.  


Living in a country, and frankly a world, that doesn't take God seriously is a dangerous place to live.  But it can be done in a way that glorifies God if I will stay faithful to Him, love as He has loved me, and acknowledge Him in all my ways.  In this way, even though the land mourns, I will rejoice.  


As I begin this day it is my prayer that God will be glorified as I live in a place that glorifies other gods.

How do I fail to acknowledge God in even the simplest of tasks?

When do I let love fall by the wayside, instead following my own natural tendencies?


No comments:

Post a Comment