The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, May 11, 2012

Restoration

"Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and make me willing to obey you."
Psalm 51:12 NLT



Drops of blood rolled down His temple, stinging His eyes as the crimson life-giving fluid touched the sensitive tissue.  Agony seeped from every pore as the sin of all mankind rested upon Him.  It is finished.  With those words, sin lost it's power, humanity gained hope and restoration had occurred.  

A few years ago, I had seriously contemplated getting rid of our large, oak dining room table.  The veneer finish was flaking so severely that I kept it covered with a tablecloth at all times, never able to truly appreciate it's beauty.  My husband suggested that I restore its finish, but I had never tackled such a project and was unsure if I'd be able to accomplish the job.  After some time, I finally agreed to take on the challenge.

I spent several weeks in the garage sanding, buffing, cleaning and staining during those cold December days.  After much effort and pain, I stood back to admire the finished product: A glowing honey finish stared back at me from a better-than-new piece of furniture.  I was so glad I had taken the time to restore the table to it's original condition.  Now it sits proudly uncovered in the center of the dining room, appreciated by all who use it.

Restoration is not easy, but God's grace makes it possible.  Whether it be the restoration of a right spirit, faith or relationship, it can only be done by the hand of God.  He uses many different circumstances to accomplish renewal in our lives, as seen in the lives of countless people.  In each example, restoration occurs after a time.

After a Time of Humbling

His kingdom stretched to the ends of the earth. . . at least it seemed that way.  The Babylonian empire boasted new cities, temples, canals, aqueducts, gardens, reservoirs and all sorts of marvelous wonders.  Wide, straight boulevards stretched throughout the cities while massively impressive brick walls surrounded them, drawing the astonishment and awe of ancient travelers.  Certainly Nebuchadnezzar was an amazing ruler with a knack for innovation and extravagance.  

The king himself thought so as he stood atop his mighty palace one day. "Is not this the great Babylon I have built as the royal residence, by my mighty power and for the glory of my majesty?"  (Daniel 4:30)  No sooner had the words left his lips than God began His humbling process.  The once impressive ruler was banished to the wilderness where he lost his sanity and become like an animal, sleeping out under the stars and eating grass like a cow.  God said he would stay in that state until he would, "acknowledge that the Most High is sovereign over the kingdoms of men and gives them to anyone he wishes." (Daniel 4:32)

Nebuchadnezzar had to learn the hard way that God is in control and everything we have is as a result of His grace and mercy.  I think I work hard to earn the lifestyle I enjoy, but it really is a gift from God.  I like to think my good health is as a result of my attention to diet and exercise, but it really is a gift from God.  It is easy for me to believe that the blessings of my family are due to my good parenting skills, but it really is a gift from God.

As the prideful king said of God after his seven-year time of humbling, ". . .those who walk in pride he is able to humble."  (Daniel 4:37)

When God restored Nebuchadnezzar's sanity, He also returned his honor and splendor, the throne, and made him even greater than he was before.  This time, however, the newly restored king knew his place.  "Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and exalt and glorify the King of heaven, because everything he does is right and all his ways are just." (Daniel 4:37)

Restoration occurred after a period of humbling.


After a Time of Suffering

Once there was a man who lived in a place called Uz.  He always tried to do the right thing, lived an honest life and was completely devoted to God.  Not only did he raise his children in the ways of the Lord, but he took a stand against all forms of evil.  Everything this man touched seemed to flourish and he became wealthy, carrying a lot of weight in regional politics.  Everyone respect Job. 

Suddenly, his life dramatically changed in the course of one day.  Several disasters occurred, one after the other, systematically taking away Job's wealth and his children.  As if that weren't enough, Job's health declined as painful open sores emerged on every square inch of his skin.  

I may not go through such a severe time of suffering, but there are times when things happen that seem cruel and uncalled for.  I lose my job, the engine in my car blows up, the marriage that seemed so strong unexpectedly crumbles, the tumor suddenly appears.  I'm left sitting in a pile of ashes that used to be my happy, contented life.  

Suffering is a part of my life as a follower of Christ. "To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps."  (1 Peter 2:21) But that is a hard row to hoe, as professor and author Cornelius Plantinga Jr. said, "We do not want suffering; we want success.  We identify not with those who are low and hurt but with those who are high and healthy.  We don't like lepers or losers very well; we prefer climbers and comers.  For Christians, the temptation to be conformed to this world is desperately sweet and strong.  Yet, says the apostle Paul, we are children of God if we suffer with Christ."

We will have hard times in this life, but the good news is that the pain and misery is not without purpose.  Job came out on the other end of his period of pain with a greater understanding of the sovereignty of God along with a stronger faith in the One who delivered him from the suffering.  It is said that, "After Job had prayed for his friends, the LORD made him prosperous again and gave him twice as much as he had before."  (Job 42:10)

I can be assured that the difficulties I encounter as I live for Jesus will bring about the ability to stick with the fight, to not give up when the going gets tough: My faith will be strengthened and my hope renewed to an even higher level than existed before my trial.  Just as I must challenge my muscles with increasingly higher weights and bigger challenges if I want them to grow, so my faith must be stressed with things that are beyond my own ability.  It is then that I rely on God and gain a bigger picture of His power and might.  It is then that He renews my hope.

Restoration takes place after I go through a time of suffering.

After a Time of Sin

"A certain rich man lived in a particular town.  He owned an impressive herd of sheep and cattle.  In this town lived another fellow who was quite poor and his only possession was a little lamb.  He treated this baby ewe like a pet, almost like the daughter he never had.  One day a traveler visited the rich man.  As he hated to waste one of his precious flock on a stranger, the well-to-do farmer took the peasant's little lamb and prepared it for his guest."

David's temper flared.  "What a cruel and evil man.  He deserves to die for his heartless act, plus he should pay four times what he owes for the little lost lamb."    How dare this man show such little regard for one less fortunate than he!

Nathan the prophet delivered the news to David.  "This cruel and evil man is you!"  

David, as much as he loved God, still succumbed to the pull of sin in his life.  Similarly, as a human, I am bound to fall into sin.  Even though Jesus took the punishment for my sin, releasing me from the bondage that sin holds on my life, there is still a struggle between my flesh and God's Spirit that is living within me.  I cannot let my guard down for one moment as I fight against doing what comes naturally.  

When David heard the ugly truth, instead of justifying his actions or denying the truth, he accepted it, saying, "I have sinned against the LORD." (2 Samuel 12:13a)  Any act done out of my own desires or plans that goes against God's ways is committed against God.  There is fallout; people are hurt, lives are ruined, relationships end.  The bottom line, however, is that I have sinned against the LORD.   

Even though there are consequences to my sinful actions, God has a way of restoring me to a right relationship with him when I turn away from the transgression and call it what it is: sin. As was done with David, "The LORD has taken away your sin.  You are not going to die." (v 13b) Certainly David deserved to die.  But the grace of God gives us what we don't deserve: Life.

Restoration is given after a time of sin. 


God has a way of taking that which is over-sized, beat up, damaged and useless and transforming it into something beautiful, intact and useful.  He does this by using a time of humbling and suffering, or even allowing a period of sin as a refining tool.  After that time, He will restore His followers to a condition better than before, making improvements in faith and character. 

When I go through a time of difficulty or struggle against sin, it is my desire that I will remember that restoration occurs. . . after a time.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will remember that God uses everything to bring me to the point He wants me.  

How do I fight God's humbling process?

When do I avoid suffering at all costs?

No comments:

Post a Comment