The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, May 21, 2012

Door of Hope

"But then I will win her back once again.
I will lead her into the desert
and speak tenderly to her there.
I will return her vineyards to her
and transform the Valley of Trouble
into a gateway of hope."
Hosea 2:14-15

I was worried about the tree.  We had planted the River Birch five years earlier and it had since grown to be as tall as our two-story house.  It's full, lush branches cast an oasis of shade in our backyard, helping to shield us from the hot summer sun.  But that fateful year, it's luscious leaves became a feast for an army of caterpillars, reducing it's once flourishing leafiness to a barren, collection of branches.  I was afraid we were going to lose the tree.

Amazingly, the following spring brought a bounty of fresh, emerald foliage, filling in all the gaps that had remained since the damage was first done eight months before.  Our tree had been restored.

In many ways I am like that tree.  The troubles of life have worked to wear me down to a bare skeleton, sometimes making me feel like there's nothing good left and that all hope is gone.  God, however, has a plan for my life.  And that plan is a good plan that is meant for my betterment.  But that plan is not for the benefit of me and my own comfort and pleasure.  Instead, that plan exists so that I will come back to God, entering into a relationship for which I was created; restoring the connection between God and me.    

God is a God of restoration.  He is always concerned with my well-being as it relates to Him.  Apart from Him, my life is meaningless because I was created for Him!  In relationship with God through faith in Jesus Christ, my life makes sense.  Troubles become times of refining, difficulties draw me closer to Him,  hardship builds my faith.  ". . . all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28)

Desert

The barrenness stretched on for miles, as far as my eye could see.  Flat, dry nothingness, void of any interesting landmarks or features filled my view.  From what I could see, this was not a place I wanted to stay long.  I couldn't drive fast enough to escape the miserable desolation.   

As you can see, the desert is not my favorite place to visit.  I am told by those who love it that there are beautiful features of this kind of wilderness.  It's not that I don't believe them; I've seen the desert flowers, colorful rock formations and beautiful minerals, but I much prefer the lush, green landscapes.

I think it's like this in my spiritual life as well. I'd rather go through times of growth, abundant love and wonderful feelings of joy and happiness.  But many times I find myself in a spiritually dry place, seemingly void of any beauty or purpose.  God, however, always has a reason.

Sometimes it's in my best interest to be deprived of good things for a time so that I truly appreciate every gift that comes down from my Father.  Otherwise, it's very easy for me to take goodness for granted.

Other times there are lessons I can only learn through difficulties.  My life is full of these kind of "on-the-job training" situations that have served to train me in righteousness.

Then there are the times when God takes me through the fire to refine me, holding me close to the flames to melt away all the impurities, carefully monitoring my well-being to make sure I don't get burned.  

The desert is a barren place, but it is a place I must sometimes go in order for God's love for me to be renewed.  Nothing can separate me from His love, but there are many-a-time that I drift away from His astounding love.  The desert times draw me back to my rightful place in the circle of His luscious, abundant love.

Like an oasis in the desert is God's love for me.  When I, as His precious child, am experiencing the dry times of my life, I can rest assured that He is using it for my good.


God uses the hard things to soften my heart and make it more receptive to receiving His love.


Vineyards

About six years ago, my husband and I bought a brand new house in a brand new development.  It was nice to move into a house that belonged to us and in which no one else had ever lived.  The struggle for me was that I missed all the big trees that would come along with an older home with a more established yard.  We were starting from scratch.  

The Israelites did not experience this problem.  Instead, God promised them a land flowing with milk and honey where they would live in, "large, flourishing cities you did not build, houses filled with all kinds of good things you did not provide, wells you did not dig, and vineyards and olive groves you did not plant."  (Deuteronomy 6:10b-11)  It was ready for them to move in and start living.  

Later, when God used the Babylonians to punish His unfaithful people by sending them away from this land of promise, He sent a message of encouragement to the exiles through the prophet Jeremiah.  He said, "Again you will plant vineyards on the hills of Samaria."  (Jeremiah 31:5)  He was letting them know that even though they were experiencing their desert time, they would once again receive the blessing of the promised land.  God would restore their previous blessing.

There are times when I think I have blown it.  I fell away from God and His love for a time, and He had to bring out the big guns to get me back on track.  It seemed like I would never again experience His blessing.  But it is in His nature to restore to me my vineyards; to give me good things again.  You see, His love transcends me, my nature or my performance.  As Max Lucado says, "We think God's love rises and falls with our performance.  It doesn't. . . He loves you for whose you are: you are His child."   

As God's precious child, I am loved beyond measure, and it is in His nature to treat me as I don't deserve.  In His great grace and mercy He often gives me back what once was lost.  He restores relationships, renews hearts and returns health. . . even though I have no way of earning it.  

God delivers me from hard times and delights in restoring me to a place of blessing because of His great love.

Gateway 

I grew up in a town that boasted to be, "The gateway to Washington's greatest mountain destinations," as well as the home to Farman's Pickles and the King County Fair.  Even though the latter two were more interesting to me as a child, the first is probably the most important.  Visitors to Mount Rainier National Park drive through Enumclaw as the last substantial town before they head up into the mountains to go skiing, hiking or sightseeing.  After passing through Enumclaw, the visitors knew they are entering into beautiful, forested and mountainous terrain: they have almost reached their goal.

In much the same way, God offers a door of hope through which I can re-enter an area that used to be a stronghold of sin but now has been transformed into a place of peace and healing.  An unpromising marriage relationship, in the hands of Jesus, can be made over into a loving partnership. 

A place that used to trigger addictive behavior patterns that destroyed and harmed many can now be a location where God's healing love can be proclaimed.  

Burning, destructive anger, in the hands of Jesus, is transformed into a passion for knowing God and obeying His calling on my life.

God has a way of providing a gateway of hope that leads to new, never-before-experienced conditions in old places of sin.  He takes the old and makes it new.


There is no doubt about it: Life is hard.  Thankfully, God is completely in control and He uses the hard times to grow my faith and refine my character, soon after restoring the blessings that I once enjoyed.  He also delights in transforming an area of sinfulness and turning it into something beautiful.  

My God is a God of refinement, restoration and transformation; if I will only walk through the door of hope.


As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I will give God the darkness in my heart and allow Him to transform it into light.

How do I resent the desert times of my life instead of recognizing God's Sovereign hand in it all?

When do I resent the position I currently find myself, looking back to times when things seemed better?     

No comments:

Post a Comment