The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

He is Able

"Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego
replied to the king,
"O Nebuchadnezzar,
we do not need to defend ourselves
before you in this matter.
If we are thrown into the blazing furnace,
the God we serve is able to save us from it,
and he will rescue us from your hand, O king."
Daniel 3:16-17



The weariness seeps into all parts of my life, penetrating every crevice.  I can't do it anymore.  I fight, I toil, I stand against. . . for what?  Why do I even bother?  What difference does it make?  There's so much evil all around me.  Friend betrays friend; the knife penetrates deep.  Plots are hatched, lives ruined.  Sin runs rampant.  The world is falling deeper and deeper into the darkness.  Should I go with it?

Living in this world is discouraging.  There is so much suffering, pain and wickedness.  It reminds me of my garden.  I toil away, diligently pulling weeds, fertilizing and watering but sometimes I see little fruit.  Either the bugs, worms or birds get it, or it just doesn't come to fruition.  Then there's the problem of the unrelenting weeds that seem to grow faster than the plants.  It's easy to get discouraged.  

As I stood at the edge of the garden the other day, feeling disheartened by the persistence of the weeds, I sensed God's prodding, "You can choose to look at all the weeds, or you can focus on the work I am doing.  Look at the newly sprouted beans peaking up through the earth!"  At that moment, peace flooded my heart as I decided to concentrate not on the evil, but on my God.  He is able.

To Defend

Self Defense classes are common in this day and age.  Many women recognize the importance of learning skills and techniques that will empower them to defend themselves against possible attacks.  It is not enough to try to live a safe life because sometimes danger finds me.  

Even though evil exists in this world, I cannot take on this same attitude in my spiritual life.  God is my defender.   When my name is drug through the mud, there is no need for me to do damage control.  When I am attacked for no apparent reason, I don't need to come up with a plan of defense.  When others don't agree with my lifestyle, there is no need for me to justify my decisions.  Instead, God will bring justice. 


David knew a little bit about being attacked.  In one instance, King Saul had set up a perimeter around David's house, watching for a chance to kill him.  During that time, David wrote about how these men, "growl like a dog, and go all around the city.  Indeed, they belch with their mouth; Swords are in their lips; For they say, 'Who hears?'  But You, O LORD, shall laugh at them; You shall have all the nations in derision.  I will wait for You, O You his Strength; For God is my defense."  (Psalm 59:6-9 NKJV)  


David was a fighting man.  He could have come up with a plan to defend himself against this unwarranted attack against his civil rights.  He had been in tough spots before and probably had some tricks up his sleeve.  But he also knew God and trusted Him enough to leave the job of his protection up to Him.  He knew that God was more adept at keeping him safe.


In the same way, God is able to protect my name from slander.  He is capable of delivering me through a difficult time unscathed.  He is more than proficient at coming to my defense; if only I will let Him.


God is able to defend me better than I can protect myself.  


To Save

I have a problem.  It is a sin problem.  This is a crisis of epic proportions that I cannot solve by myself. My sin forms a deep, uncrossable canyon between me and a holy, perfect God.  I can't have a relationship with Him, let alone spend eternity with Him, because of my transgressions.  I am unable to negotiate across this deep abyss that separates me from my Creator.  I have no hope.   I need a Savior.

Thankfully, I found a Savior in Jesus Christ.  While I was still in the midst of my rebellion against God, He took the punishment meant for me from a holy, just God.  He took the fall for me.  He made a way for me to get to God and spend eternity with Him. . . .all because of His great love for me.

If God is able to accomplish the impossible task of reconciling my severed relationship with God, than certainly I can trust Him to save my marriage.  If He can solve the problem of sin, than of course I can give Him the task of healing my broken heart.  If He can make a way for a sinful human to spend eternity with a perfect God, then there is no question that He can give me hope where it seems none exists.

God is able to save me in ways I could never imagine.  

To Rescue

When I went through lifeguard training, I had to learn how to rescue a swimmer in distress.  One of the most important tactics we learned was to keep ourselves safe.  Someone who is drowning becomes panicked and will literally climb on top of another swimmer in an effort to save themselves.  In order to prevent a tragedy, we were taught to approach from below and behind where the victim was unaware of our presence.  By the time they realized what was happening, they were already firmly in my hold and being towed back to safety. 

There are many times in my life when I am like the panicked swimmer in distress.  I fear for my life and cannot think straight.  I find myself in a tight spot and I'm afraid there is no way out.  Consequently, I attack the very ones who are trying to help me and bring me to safety.

When God called Jeremiah as His prophet to God's people, He told the newly appointed messenger that he must deliver His message but to, "not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you." (Jeremiah 1:8)  It seems God was implying that Jeremiah might get into some difficult situations, but that God would safely deliver him; there was no need for him to panic.  In fact, Jeremiah did meet much resistance from the Jews during his 50-year ministry and they refused to listen to the warnings God continued to send through the prophet.  But God was faithful to rescue him each and every time.  

In the process of carrying out my calling from God, I may end up in some sticky situations.  But I can rest assured that God will come after me and deliver me.  Oswald Chambers wrote in My Utmost for His Highest that, "We have to get into the habit of hearkening to God about everything, to form the habit of finding out what God says.  If when a crisis comes, we instinctively turn to God, we know that the habit has been formed."

It is my desire to get into the routine of automatically turning to God when I'm in trouble.  After all, He has overcome the world and all it's difficulties.  

God is able to rescue me when I'm in over my head.


I am easily discouraged and often feel like giving up.  But keeping my eyes on the One who is able to defend me from attack, to save me from my sin, and to rescue me from trouble will leave me with a sense of hope and peace that no one can take away from me. 

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurable more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."  (Ephesians 3:20-21) 


As I begin this day it is my prayer that when I am unable, I will remember that God is able.

How do I attempt to defend myself?

When do I fail to allow God to save me?


No comments:

Post a Comment