The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Who am I Hurting?

"'Pray no more for these people, Jeremiah.
Do not weep or pray for them,
and don't beg me to help them,
for I will not listen to you.
Don't you see what they are doing throughout the towns of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem?
No wonder I am so angry!
Watch how the children gather wood
and the fathers build sacrificial fires.
See how the women knead dough
and make cakes to offer to the Queen of Heaven.
And they pour out liquid offerings to their other idol gods!
Am I the one they are hurting?' asks the LORD.
'Most of all, they hurt themselves,
to their own shame.'"
Jeremiah 7:16-19 NLT



I dishonor God by failing to acknowledge Him as sovereign and staying true to Him alone.  But mostly it hurts me as I remove myself from all that is good and right (James 1:17).  How so?

Cultivate.  What seeds am I sowing?  What attitudes do I nurture?  What activities and mindsets do I promote, especially as a parent and a believer who is always watched by those around me?  If I look closely, I discover that I cultivate a spirit of busyness, pride in accomplishments, emphasis on education yet I ignore God, as if He is simply a means to another end.  Instead of looking to Him as the Source, as the Purpose, as my All in all, I use Him as the power to drive my agenda and to make my own selfish plans come to fruition.

While this sort of ungodly focus does fail to show respect and regard for God who is worthy to be praised at all times, it also hurts me.  It is to my own shame that I fail to see the value in connecting with God throughout my day, in teaching my children to look to Him as their source of wisdom, understanding and help, in growing in my bond with Him by trusting Him with every decision that must be made and every insecurity that wears me down.  I am made for relationship with God so when I neglect this higher purpose, I am missing a big chunk of what it is to be human as my Creator intended.

When I commit to cultivating my relationship with God, I am opening myself up to many blessings.

Dedication.  I faithfully attend church every time the doors are open.  I can be counted on to raise my hand whenever help is needed.  I'm devoted to the disciplines of my faith; reading the Bible daily, praying, fasting, discipling others.  I work hard to live a pure and holy life as is expected of me (1 Peter 1:15).  While I know the law doesn't save me, I try hard to adhere to it out of reverence to God.  Yet something is missing.

On the surface, it seems I am living the kind of life that would please God, that would give Him great pleasure, yet I'm missing the point.  You see, I am dedicated to a religion instead of a relationship with God.  I fail to perceive the God who is behind everything I'm doing as a living, breathing God who can be known and who desires that I grow closer to Him each day.  As my bond with Him grows, I'll find I'll want to gather with other believers and serve as He moves me.  As He and I become more intimate, I'll discover that a deep desire for the disciplines will well up inside of me like a hunger that must be satisfied, and a longing will develop to walk according to His indwelling Spirit who leads me in a way that honors His law (Galatians 5:16-18).  I am made for God, so when I dedicate myself to religious activity, I am missing out on the sweet thrill of drawing close to the One who made me and loves me perfectly.

When I dedicate myself to the Lord Himself as a living, breathing God, I am opening myself up to many blessings.

Sacrifice.  There are many gods to whom I can sacrifice.  I give up family time, a social life, and my health in order to taste success.  I surrender free time so that I can build up my bank account as I believe every responsible adult should.  I want a nice house and car so I work hard and reward myself with the finer things.  In order to taste happiness, I go after my dreams.  

This is the way most of us live our lives, willingly giving up lesser things in order to gain what is deemed as more valuable.  Yet in my desire to realize the American dream, I forget about the One who gives me life and breath.  Without Him, I wouldn't even exist let alone be able to run after all that I think will fulfill me.  I can even fool myself into believing that Jesus died so I can taste a rich and meaningful life, so He must want me to live life to the fullest, making the most of every opportunity to reach my full potential.  The problem is, I ignore God Himself, failing to realize the best way I can keep from wasting the one life I've been given is to honor Him by giving myself to Him as a living sacrifice, offering myself up as an instrument of righteousness to be used as He best sees fit (Romans 6:13, 12:1).  This is the kind of sacrifice that He desires.

When I sacrifice myself to the Lord, I am opening myself up to many blessings.


I dishonor God in many ways as I fail to acknowledge that He is at the center of all things.  I nurture the wrong things, commit myself to religion or tradition, and I surrender myself to what is temporary and shallow. When I live in such a way, I do more damage to myself than to God.  I was meant for so much more than all these things.  I was made for Him, and when I cultivate a bond with Him, dedicate myself to Him, and sacrifice my own will for His, I will discover what it is to live the good life.  I am only hurting myself when I live fail to live for Him!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can taste the riches God has in store for me by drawing close to Him.  

When do I focus on doing for God instead of getting to know Him?

How much do I know God for myself?
     

No comments:

Post a Comment