The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Grieving the Holy Spirit

"He said, 'They are my very own people.
Surely they will not betray me again.'
And he became their Savior.
In all their suffering he also suffered,
and he personally rescued them.
In his love and mercy he redeemed them.
He lifted them up and carried them through all the years.
But they rebelled against him
and grieved his Holy Spirit.
So he became their enemy and fought against them."
Isaiah 63:8-10 NLT



I feel secure in His grip, safe in His arms, sure of His presence.  I can count on God to be there for me.  But I hardly ever think about how my actions, the way I choose to live, the decisions I make affect Him.  Instead, I mostly think about the benefit of having Him near.  Once I've received the Holy Spirit through repentance and faith in Jesus, is it possible to grieve Him?  Oh, let me count the ways (Ephesians 4:21-32).

Walk the walk.  This is not a religion, a set of rules to follow, a tradition to preserve.  Instead, as I place my life in the hands of Jesus, I enter into a relationship with a living God who takes up residence within me.  As a result, there is a constant transformation process taking place with the goal of changing me from the inside out (Romans 12:2).  In order for me to see fruit from this life-long progression, I must cooperate, operating as a willing participant.  If I just talk about what I learn, the truth will never move from my head down to my heart where the real change takes place.  Instead, I must become pliable like softened clay in the Master Potter's hands, giving Him the opportunity to mold me into the shape He desires me to possess (Jeremiah 18:6).

What does this look like?  It means that when the Spirit of God convicts me of a certain sin and I become aware of it's presence in my life, knowing it doesn't belong, I will repent of it, turning away from this old way of thinking, acting and speaking.  I will throw off the sin that's come to my attention like a tainted garment, realizing it offends the God who gave so much to make me right with Him.  It also means I'll apply the Word to myself, letting it's sharpened blade cut away that which doesn't belong instead of just reading it like a textbook filled with interesting information (Hebrews 4:12, 2 Timothy 3:16-17).  Additionally, I'll let my Light shine before men, setting a good example and sharing the saving message of the Gospel as an ambassador of Christ to a lost world so that others will turn to faith in Christ, seeing my good deeds and praising my Father in heaven (2 Corinthians 5:20Matthew 5:16).

I grieve the Holy Spirit when I fail to respond to His conforming pressure, instead choosing to live as I've always lived.

Clean Sweep.  Clutter seems to form in my house on its own, as if it has a life of its own.  Without any effort at all, stuff quickly covers every open surface of my house.  Before I know it, newspapers, books, hats, pens, mail, groceries, coffee cups and the like are scattered around, littering my home, turning it into a hoarder's paradise.  If I don't take the time each day to tidy up, I'm soon overwhelmed with the clutter.

In the same way that I need to intentionally clean up my home on a regular basis, I must conduct a similar operation in my heart, letting God show me what doesn't belong there (Psalm 139:23-24).  If I just float along, I will invariably drift back toward my sinful ways, taking on a little bitterness here and adopting an immoral belief there.  Before you know it, my heart is cluttered with resentment, contentious attitudes, spite and malice.  I find myself sneering at those who irritate me, talking about the failings of others and taking on the attitude that those who suffer are only reaping what they have sown so they better suck it up and deal with it.  As I hear opposing opinions, I'm ready to prove the speaker wrong, attempting to show them how foolish their beliefs are.  If I want to prevent the drift toward such behavior that is ingrained within my flesh, I must take constant inventory, getting rid of all that doesn't bring glory to God (Ephesians 4:31).

I grieve the Holy Spirit when I let destructive attitudes and beliefs clutter up my heart, failing to get rid of that which is not fitting for a child of the King.

Children of Light.  Time is short and the end is near.  Sometime soon Jesus will return and set all things right again.  Many live as if they have all the time in the world and they can turn back to God later, after they've sown their wild oats.  I know better.  As one whose been plucked from the miry pit of living for myself, I'm aware that my days are numbered, and the hours left for the earth to exist as is are few. 

Since I have such knowledge of Christ's return, I must live as a child of light, not getting caught up in that which is done in darkness (1 Thessalonians 5:5).  I realize that what I do now has lasting affects, and so I must desire that which will endure, not getting involved in what doesn't bear kingdom fruit.  As I sweep out that which doesn't belong, I can let God replace the sin with forgiveness, kindness, His love and compassion (Ephesians 4:32).  Before I realize what's happening, I have a desire to help others, letting go of the ways I've been hurt and instead speaking kindly.  I'm eager to pass on the forgiveness and am enabled to bear with others by the power of love that flows through me (Ephesians 4:2).  When I'm responsive to the work of the indwelling Spirit of God, He is able to create a clean heart within me, restoring a right spirit within me, a spirit that reflects more clearly His Son (Psalm 51:10Romans 8:29).

I grieve the Holy Spirit when I fail to live as a child of His light, choosing instead to live as if Jesus did not save me.


I am secure in my salvation yet I'm not immune from offending His indwelling Spirit.  I'm not free to live however I want without consequences.  I can inflict pain upon Him in the way I live, the sin I let clutter my heart, and the path I choose.  Therefore, to prevent causing the Holy Spirit sorrow, I must walk the walk, conduct regular clean sweeps of my heart, and live as a child of the Light.  When I do, I please God, avoiding my tendency to grieve His indwelling Spirit.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to let go of that which offends Him.

When do I hang on to that which I'm fully aware is wrong in His eyes?

How much clutter has built up in my heart?           

No comments:

Post a Comment