The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, September 14, 2015

Superficial Treatments

"'From the least to the greatest,
their lives are ruled by greed.
From prophets to priests,
they are all frauds.
They offer superficial treatments
for my people's mortal wound.
They give assurances of peace 
when there is no peace.
Are they ashamed of their disgusting actions?
Not at all--they don't even know how to blush!
Therefore, they will lie among the slaughtered.
They will be brought down when I punish them,'
says the LORD."
Jeremiah 6:13-15 NLT



Sin has broken God's creation so nothing works as it was meant to work.  Nowhere is this more evident than in God's image-bearers.  People are hurting as a result.  Many solutions are offered by God's people to solve the problem of suffering as man tries to negotiate through the mine-field of life.  But I find the solutions offered to me, or the ones I suggest to others, run up against the wall of God's intention.  In truth, only One will bring about true healing and deliver the solution that was meant for mankind's troubles.

Coping Mechanisms.  Life is hard and I find that stress often overwhelms me.  There are so many ways I could choose to cope with the difficulties of life, but most are faulty, unhealthy and even harmful instead of helpful.  I can use drugs or alcohol to numb me from the realities of life.  Anger can be my go-to mechanism when encountering difficulty.  I can let food comfort and bring me joy and satisfaction.  Exercise or other obsessive addictions can give me some semblance of control.  Soon I find the coping mechanisms I choose cause more problems than results and never bring about the solution I had originally sought.

As I come to the end of myself, I may go to the church for help, seeking out godly support.  Unfortunately, the help I'm often offered is not what will bring about true healing.  I may be pointed to drug or alcohol treatment, anger management classes, books on how to survive stress, or any number of programs meant to bring healing. While these are all good things, the help I really need, the aid God sent as a solution to the sin problem that is the root of all that ails me, is never even mentioned.  As representatives of Jesus in a dark world, Christ must be the beacon of hope that is offered as the primary answer to every question, the foundation of all treatment programs, and the only Way to find peace, comfort, satisfaction, happiness, and sound mental health. Without Jesus, all other therapy offered will fall flat.

It is God's intention that Jesus quench every thirst, fulfill every need, and solve every problem that results from my faulty coping mechanisms (John 4:14, 6:35).  May the people of God always point broken people to Him first and foremost.

Relationships.  So much can go wrong as I live in this shattered world.  Marriages crumble, children rebel, friendships crash and burn, countries war, leadership quarrels, breakdowns occur right and left.  Can't we all just get along?  But it is inevitable that troubles will come as sinful beings attempt to live in tandem with one another.  And soon I taste the bitterness of defeat in my own personal life, especially in my bonds with others.

As I get to the point where I realize I need help to fix my failed relationships, I may go to the church for help, seeking out godly support.  Unfortunately, the help I'm often offered is not what will bring about true reconciliation.  I'm pointed to counseling, psychology, helpful classes that foster healthy relationships, or books on how to treat my relational problems.  While these all are good things, the help I really need, the Savior who reconciles ruined relationships, binds up the brokenhearted and promotes emotional healing, is never even mentioned (Isaiah 61:1).  Since Jesus is the cornerstone of the church, He must be the foundation of any solution offered to help people get along.  After all, He is the Prince of Peace, and there is no other name under heaven that is meant to rescue (Isaiah 9:6Acts 4:12).  

It is God's intention that Jesus free captives of any imprisonment, including that of unhealthy relationships.  May the people of God always point broken people to Him first and foremost.

Purpose.  I want to feel necessary to the workings of this world, to have a reason for getting up in the morning, to be counted on by someone.  It is in my nature to desire something bigger than myself, to see I've been created for a purpose, to find meaning for my life.  It's not always easy to discover this reason for my existence, however.

As I find little satisfaction in running the rat race, I may go to the church for help in finding my purpose, the thing that will drive me and propel me forward with passion for living.  Unfortunately, the help I'm often offered is not what speaks to my reason for existing; to bring glory to God and enjoy a strong bond with Him in every part of my life.  I may instead be pointed to career counseling, meaningful activities to fill my time, classes that teach successful living skills, or groups that foster strong bonds with like-minded people.  While these all are good things, the guidance I really need, the Savior who restores my bond with the God who holds the blueprint for my life, is never even mentioned.  Since God is the only One who gives me purpose as my Maker, honing my relationship with Him through faith in Jesus Christ is the key to opening the door to understanding my reason for living.  And it is in discovering the treasure of knowing Him more each day, and realizing the value of the bond I have with Him by faith, that will give me the passion I've been seeking (Philippians 1:21, 3:8).  

It is God's intention that His love be the passion that propels me through life.  May the people of God always point the aimless to Jesus who connects mankind to His everlasting source.


There is no doubt that the world is broken, and living here causes all sorts of issues.  As I learn to cope in unhealthy ways, mourn over broken relationships, and flail around as I discover I have no idea why I'm here, I turn to the people of God for help.  While I don't always find the help I truly need, the answer is more simple than any of us acknowledge.  Jesus is the best solution to any problem.  May He always be offered as the primary treatment, the One who promotes permanent healing, and the passion that drives man forward.  Everything else that is offered only tackles the issues I face superficially.  It is only Jesus who offers the permanent solution!



As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to believe He sent Jesus for more than just offering a ticket to heaven.

When do I place Jesus on the back burner, assuming He doesn't have anything that can help me in my present struggles?

How do I seek a quick solution from a human source when Jesus offers permanent healing?     

No comments:

Post a Comment