The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, October 9, 2015

Foundational Truths

"'For I know the plans I have for you,'
declares the LORD,
'plans to prosper you and not to harm you,
plans to give you hope and a future.
Then you will call on me and come and pray to me,
and I will listen to you
You will seek me and find me 
when you seek me with all your heart.
I will be found by you,' declares the LORD,
'and will bring you back from captivity.  
I will gather you from all the nations and places 
where I have banished you,'
declares the LORD,
'and will bring you back to the place from which
I carried you into exile.'"
Jeremiah 29:11-14



There are some things I need to know about God and the way He operates, especially when going through the bittersweet time of discipline, hardship and/or trials (James 1:2-4, Hebrews 12:4-11).  These foundational truths will help me to press on.

Temporary.  It may seem the hard times last forever, that there is no end in sight.  It makes it challenging to endure when I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Will I ever emerge again into the sunlight?  Am I destined to dwell in this darkness forever?  I despair.  Then I remember that I'm a child of God, bought by the blood of the Son, securely placed in His arms as His most precious possession (1 John 3:1,1 Peter 1:18-20,James 1:18).  He is testing my faith, refining my character, sanctifying me into the image of Jesus (1 Peter 1:7, Psalm 66:10Romans 8:29).

Therefore, I can confidently proclaim that it is all for my good and His glory, this trouble I face.  But there is even more good news.  It will not last forever.  There will be an end.  Not only is it for my good, but it is temporary.  Knowing there will be an end, even if I cannot detect it, can help me to carry on.

This difficult time I presently face as a child of God is temporary by nature.

Restoration.  I can feel ripped off.  So many things seem to have been taken away from me.  My health.  My financial security.  My youth.  My loved ones.  I've given up a lot to follow Christ, yes, but sometimes I lose things of which I never intended to let go.  In order to whittle down my life to the necessary and to reveal His best for me, God sometimes takes away that which has become a problem, takes up too much space, or has grown into an idol that overshadows God in importance.

It's easy to lament what is gone, acting like Lot's wife, looking back with longing to what I'm leaving behind.  In reality, though, what I'm gaining is far more valuable.  And like the woman of long ago who failed to see how God was rescuing her from the harmful influence of Sodom, I often mourn for what was my undoing.  I must seek a godly perspective that allows me to see the good that God is giving me to replace what He has merciful removed.

If I'm healthy, I may forget I'm dependent upon God's mercy and instead rely on my regimen of diet, exercise and clean living.  If I'm financially secure I may not depend upon my Father who desires to be my sole Provider, instead relying on my bank account.  When I'm young I feel invincible, failing to treasure each moment as a gift of God and instead take tomorrow for granted while wasting today.  While God may take away what has become an idol in my life, He replaces it with something of far greater value.

As a child of God, I can trust Him to restore all I've lost as I walk the narrow path that leads to life.

Homecoming.  God wanted His people who were enduring 70 years of exile in a foreign country that He would gather them back to the Promised Land.  It must have spurred them on to think that they were not destined to live in such a forsaken place forever.  One day, they would return to their beloved homes, united under His headship once again.  

Today, many of God's beloved people are wandering into foreign lands. He faithfully goes after those lost ones, gathering them unto Himself where they will become part of His family. The picture of Jesus as a Good Shepherd who doesn't rest until all of His sheep are safely in the fold is a powerful reminder of His great love for us (John 10:16, Luke 15:1-7).  He died in order to make it possible for all peoples to be united by faith in Him (John 11:52).  And not only do we have the hope of eternity together, but God designed us to live life together in the hear and now.  He placed us firmly within a network of other believers so we can draw strength from each other, encourage one another and constantly lift each other up in prayer (1 Thessalonians 5:11, James 5:16).  While heaven's homecoming will be a glorious day, I can experience a taste of that simply by living authentically within His Body today.

My heavenly homecoming can spur me on but my present troubles are not mine to bear alone, as God has given me a family with which to share my joys and sorrows (Galatians 6:2, Romans 12:15).


It is not easy to endure hardship as a child of God.  But there are certain truths I can keep in mind as I walk this rocky path.  I can remember that these present difficulties are only temporary, what has been removed will somehow be restored, and I have a family to lean on, both now and when I'm called to my heavenly home.  With these foundational truths laying the groundwork for my faith, I will be able to press on toward the finish line (Philippians 3:14).


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to build my life on His promises.

When do I build upon a different foundation?

How am I discouraged by today's difficulties?        

No comments:

Post a Comment