The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Growing Deep Roots

This post was originally published on October 1, 2015


"'But blessed are those who trust in the LORD
and have made the LORD their hope and confidence.
They are like trees planted along a riverbank,
with roots that reach deep into the water.
Such trees are not bothered by the heat
or worried by long months of drought.
Their leaves stay green,
and they never stop producing fruit.'"
Jeremiah 17:7-8 NLT



Who doesn't want deep roots so we don't fall apart when facing hard times?  We all do, but how do we cultivate such an advantage?  Here's the answer as God revealed to the prophet Jeremiah.

Trust in God.  It's stamped on our money.  The phrase, "In God We Trust" first appeared on the two-cent coin in 1864 in response to an Act of Congress, followed by the passage of the Coinage Act in 1873 which opened up the way for all coins to bear such a proclamation.  This act was no mindless formality but an intentional attempt to acknowledge God as a nation in response to several letters from citizens across the land during the Civil War.  One such letter stated, in part, that "No nation can be strong except in the strength of God, or safe except in His defense."  And another claimed that "From my hearth I have felt our national shame in disowning God as not the least of our present national disasters." *  Our leaders at the time recognized the importance of trusting in God.

When I do the same, realizing He is the one Source of strength, power, wisdom, protection, and everything, I'm placing all my weight on Him, resting in His provision and shelter (Psalm 91).  When I think of Him as only one of many supplies, choosing to rely on my own wherewithal or that of others, I am failing to fully trust in God.  Either I place all my eggs in His basket, or I keep my options open in case another offer comes along.  The first shows that I believe He is able to satisfy every need and all my longings, while the second reveals my doubt in His power.

If I want roots that grow deeply, I must fully and wholly trust in God alone.

Hope in God.  It's easy to lose hope in such a dark world in which we reside.  I can become discouraged when trouble comes my way, especially when it seems there is no let up, as if it's my lot in life to suffer.  When enduring such difficulty, I can begin to wonder why I'm here, what is the point of life, what's my purpose.  Then I remember Who is in control of all things (Romans 13:1).

God is a good God (Psalm 136:1).  Everything He does is thoroughly and completely good.  Additionally, He is a God who is always at work (John 5:17).  He doesn't slack on the job, or forget someone's needs, letting them fall through the cracks.  Instead, He is constant and trustworthy.  Therefore, when I keep my eyes on Jesus, I have every hope in the world no matter my circumstances, because I know good things are happening.  The only missing factor, then, is my perception of His beneficial acts.  I often don't notice what He's up to because I'm looking in the wrong place.  It reminds me of a friend who just returned from a trip to New England.  She and her husband were disappointed to see the lack of fall colors but realized that if she looked closely, she could see a kaleidoscope of hues hidden beneath the green.  It only took an eye to see for her to enjoy the show.

If I want roots that grow deeply, I must hope in God, looking for all I believe He is doing.

Confidence in God.  It's easy to doubt.  It's not so much that I don't think God is up to the job, but that I think I will somehow mess things up, or that I see all that could go wrong, or that I've become cynical and jaded, preferring to brace myself for the worst instead of hoping for the best.  Then I waver in my faith, failing to walk forward in confidence with the strongly rooted certainty that God will come through no matter what.  I hold back, indecisive and vacillating between wanting to trust God and skepticism.

I notice a difference when I'm around someone who has confidence in God.  Their prayers are self-assured, as if they are simply endorsing what they believe God is at work doing.  They step out in faith often and speak with boldness, knowing that God is providing the words they need and fully backing them up.  In contrast, those with a lack of confidence result in prayers that are weak and reserved, as if they don't want to bother God or ask too much of Him.  They rarely if ever do anything beyond their own abilities or power and speak timidly, worried they may offend someone.  I'd rather live like the confident Christian.

If I want roots that grow deeply, I must place my confidence in God alone, not doubting in His might.


Life is difficult and I often face hardship.  If I want to learn to cope with the stresses of life, I would be wise to heed God's advice by resting fully in Him, expectantly looking for the work of His good hands, and walking forward with assurance that He's gone before me and has my back.  This is how to grow deep roots that will always reach His living waters.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to place all my weight on Him.

When do I hold back, afraid to let go of some semblance of control?

How do I doubt that God will come through?  


     


* http://www.treasury.gov/about/education/Pages/in-god-we-trust.aspx


No comments:

Post a Comment